1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Calcium reactor vs. Kalk stirrer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by phishcrazee, Sep 27, 2008.

1. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am sick to death of dosing part A and B........ I want to either get a kalk stirrer or calcium reactor, so what are the pros and cons of each?  What do you use?  Good brands?  I have a mixed reef, a little bit of everything-right now it's a 75g, but I'm going to be moving it all into the 135g sitting in the basement.

2. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My understanding of a kalk reactor is that you have to add new kalkwasser every other week or so, whereas with a calcium reactor once its dialed in, you don't really have to do anything until you run out of co2 or media ...which would only be about twice a year. A calcium reactor is going to cost a little more up front, but I've seen some nice used setups selling for good prices on rc.

I've never used a kalk reactor so I could be wrong about how often you need to fill it.

3. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Fawn,

My understanding is that a Calcium reactor is for overall tank balance and the Kalk stirrer is to raise Ca and Alk for top off water. I know there are some that use a Kalk stirrer for other purposes, but that is how I would use them. If the tank is using too much Calcium and Alk to be recooped by Kalk usage during top off I would definatly invest in the Calcium reactor first. I personally would not get a Kalk stirrer unless my top off was completely automated and my tank parameters could be replenished by kalk addition or if the Ca and Alk usage was so high my Ca reactor could not keep up without lowering pH. Remember a Ca reactor can lower pH, a kalk stirrer will raise pH. Yet another item to look at with your decision.

4. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm, it seems the more research I do, the more variables I encounter /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif I have never used kalk solely to replace lost ca and alk, so I don't know if I could replace it with just that....... I was thinking if I had a kalk reactor, that maybe I could. I dose every other day now and honestly, I could be dosing daily, but I don't want to be so tied down to a tank :) It just seems like so much $$$ for a few simple pieces of equipment. Anyone make the DIY Nielsen Kalk Stirrer? It's supposedly about half the price to make vs buying one new.......... of course, with little ones around, the DIY projects aren't always easier :)

5. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you are dosing that much I would suggest the calcium reactor first and soon.

6. brtfreud

brtfreud Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If it was me, I would first try using saturated Kalk water to top off your tank and hook up a fan to increase evaporation. I have a descent SPS collection and have never had to dose anything and my parameters stay at Alk=7-8 and Ca=380-420. I also do a 10 gal water change each week with water that had an Alk=9 and Ca=450. This lets me dose and water change at the same time, so I guess I do sort of dose the tank...

This might let you avoid having to buy anything new and spend that money on something else.

7. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    brtfrued

Are you using Coralife salt or what salt are you getting those numbers from during a water change?

8. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use 2 fans and have plenty of evaporation going on :)  I don't have time to do weekly water changes, nor does my tank need weekly water changes.  My best bet is to probably try topping off with limewater, BUT, it seems I would need a kalk reactor for that, as I'd need something airtight to keep the c02 out.....so back to square one /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/confused.gif

9. brtfreud

brtfreud Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Travis,
    I use instant ocean and supplement with Ca, and Mg. If I let it sit a day or two the alk will also start to drop. I wish it mixed to that.

Phishcrazee,

You don't need an airtight container to store or mix kalk, just a lid to cover it. There was a study I read on reef central in the chemistry forum that just covering a mixed bucket of limewater is sufficient to get the benefits, just don't aerate the container. Here is the link http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/rhf/feature/index.php

I personally just mix it in a 30 gal brute and fill my top off container from that. I really love this method and I find that I get all the benefits without a large cost or complicated system. I also personally don't see any reason for a kalk stirrer in my experience.

Do you have an autotop off system?

10. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I personally just drip fresh lime water (post settle) into my tank. My buddy that turned me on to lime water over 7 years ago used his own version of a Kalk stirrer with his auto top off. He had a liter meter that pulled top off from a 5 gallon bucket. The stirrer part was that every time he walked by he would take a stick and stir the kalk back into suspension. That is the part of the equation that the kalk stirrer removes. It allows you to automate lime water addition and increases the lime water's potency by stirring it occasionally. Thus making it completely automated beside the occasional refreshing of the lime.

11. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
  12. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Interesting article.......so it looks like my next step should be to try and mix limewater into my reservoir via some method where it will add to my top-off water. Yes, I do have an auto top-off system which uses a float switch in the sump to so it will refill as water evaporates. My reservoir holds 20 gallons I believe, and there is a loose fitting lid. I will try this method this week and see how the levels go......

BTW, what ratio of kalkwasser to water do you 2 use?

13. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I mixed up lime water 2 days ago, 20g worth in my top-off reservoir. It has a lid. I used 3/4C. Kalkwasser:20g RODI water, mixed it, let it settle for a few hours, then placed the pump of a 1" thick piece of granite to keep the pump from pumping the kalk residue into the sump. So far, readings are as follows:

alk= 2.5 meq/l (same as seawater, although I'm aiming between 4-5) This has always been an issue, even when using parts A & B
    pH= 8.0 a little low, it's usually at 8.2
    calcium= 420, this is up from using A & B, it usually hovers around 400

Will keep testing and watching closely to see where parameters are and if I need to mix a stronger concentration of limewater...............

14. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The pH is a bit of a surprise except for the fact that I bet you closed your house up due to the cold snap. Homes that are energy efficient tend to trap CO2 inside. Increased CO2 translates to carbonic acid creating a lower pH in our tanks. I still would have expected to see your pH rise with the addition of Kalk though. I used to use vinegar in my lime water to decrease the pH effect, then I could really push some alk and Ca into my system.

15. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not sure, as the lid on the reservoir is fairly snug fitting and at least during the day, I have the window cracked in there.......I added more kalk to the mixture today, so we will see what happens.

16. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I added another 1/4C. of kalk to the reservoir, mixed it, let it settle, then turned the auto top-off back on. I tested things again before I left for the weekend and they were still at the same numbers as I had posted (this was prior to adding more kalk). Retested today, things have improved!

alk= 3.5 meq/l this is up from 2.5
    pH= 8.2 also up from 8.0
    calcium= 440, also up from 420.........with dosing parts A&B, it always hovered around 400

So far I am quite pleased. I'm using 1C. of kalk per 20 gallons of water in a closed reservoir. This usually lasts about a week and a half, maybe 2 weeks and if that's as often as I have to mix it up, I'm fine with that. Much better than dosing by hand parts A&B every other day and with better readings to boot!  I'm so glad I tried this route first before buying a kalk stirrer or calcium reactor.

17. brtfreud

brtfreud Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am glad it is working for you and be ready for the coralline algae to take off. If you want to save some money I would look into two part solution kalk. It is very cheap, comes in bulk, and works well.