1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Calcium Reactor Reviews?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phathead, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I was interested in getting a calcium reactor there are so many with very different price ranges I was curious to see what everyone has and how well do they work (user friendly, price).  The coralife is a cheap one is it worth it?

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I think a better question to ask yourself is, do you really need a CA reactor? If i wouldn't have gotten mine for dirt cheap (thanks Jason) I would have been fine supplementing my tank with limewater or a kalk reactor. Don't get me wrong, i really like mine but i would never have boughten it if i had to pay retail for it.

What kind of corals are you keeping? I would say that unless you are planning on cramming a ton of SPS in your tank, limewater will do you just fine.

Just something to think about.....

3. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They all have their little quirks. MRC has been a great brand, but I strongly suggest against supporting anyone that Chris Hanson may be doing a special on during his next episode of "To Catch a Predator".... I also agree with Waverz in that they are very expensive and not really worth the money or headache on most tanks.

4. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Actually MRC got sold right after that episode aired.....so MRC isn't supporting the Michael Jackson foundation anymore

5. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    well i must agree with waverz in all thats there plus thank you jason aswell

6. nick

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    i've heard coral life is one of the lower brands were mrc, and deltec are the best of course

7. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By fnvarner on 02/13/2008 9:42 AM
    Oh fine...  Don't agree with me then...  Geeesh   /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

8. nick

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Travis on 02/13/2008 3:59 PM

Posted By fnvarner on 02/13/2008 9:42 AM
    Oh fine...  Don't agree with me then...  Geeesh   /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif src="/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif" align=absMiddle border=0>
    sorry travis made good points as well but for quality i hear mrc is a decent brand

9. Coralfreak

Coralfreak Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Definitely going with the first post by Jeremy, determine if its needed first.
    Personally, I would not run a tank without one, but thats just me.  Keep in mind, all the corals in my tank are SPS, so I have a fairly high demand.  Once set up correctly, they will maintain a rock solid alk level and help with your calcium levels, however, they can be a bit tricky the first time.  Using a calcium reactor on a small tank can cause problems if you are unfamiliar with how they work.
    I am running a Deltec PF500 on a system with about 130 gallons, the reactor is actually way overkill, but I have it tuned very well and its working great.  It is by far the best Ca reactor I have ever used.
    Allen