1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

calc and alk?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wayne1, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just wondering what everyone is using for test kits for calcium and alk. I haven't been dosing that much calc in the past,but with the more SPS i get , i thought i should start testing and dosing more. So here's the deal, my last water change was 2 weeks maybe 2.5 and i just tested tonight.My para. are calcium at 480 and alk is at 7 dKH. I recently got the 2-part B-Ionic jugs so i was going to dose. But it looks like I'm fine on both. I just don't understand it and haven't dosed calc in 6 months or better. What's wrong????????????
    Wayne

2. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would not add any calcium and let it fall back to about 410ppm
    Only add the alk part of the 2-part to keep your alk at 7 or so while waiting for the calcium to fall in balance.

That is where alk and calcium are in balance, next I would make sure your Magnesium is around 1280 to 1300ppm.
    Once you get those 3 things in balance things will take off in your tank.

Here is a handy alk to calcium balance calculator... http://www.andy-hipkiss.co.uk/index.htm?http://www.andy-hipkiss.co.uk/cacalc.htm

hope this helps
    eins

3. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How old are your test kits? I believe most test kits have an expiration on them so you might want to see if yours are still ok.

4. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with both the other posts. If it is 480 then you are fine and should not dose. I'd also have to say that you might be getting a bad reading from a bad test kit. You might consider just not dosing until you can retest with another kit.  I'd guess it have to be the test kit.  It takes a real trick  to get calc that high and not have it participate out.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Negative. All it takes is oceanic salt to get calcium that high and not precipitate out.

6. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's tough to say what it is since each tank is unique in chemistry and demands. I use Oceanic exclusively and my parameters are not out of balance. In fact, I don't supplement my tank with anything right now. I have even stopped using kalk.

7. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    really? I always seem to make it precipitate out with Reef Crystals at that level. Probably in my poor technique than the salt.

8. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My test kits are brand new today from Marine Depot. I doubled checked the tests. All i know it is not from my maintence routine. Plus i spent 67.00 on calc-b-ioinic and want to dose but can't... All i know everything is doing well. and i will continue to test..
    wayne

9. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Einsteins for the link it would be handy to have.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think oceanic is a great salt to use if you have a high calcium demand. I do not. I dosed nothing, yet mine tested at over 500 once. I went to reef crystals and everything is coloring up nicely and my levels are dropping to where they should be.

Might I add that there has been no change in my lps, only my sps have acknowledged the change. I need to pick up a magnesium test kit.

11. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    High calcium never hurt anything. It's the alk levels that cause problems

I ran Oceanic for 2.5 years and was happy with it. Running SeaChem now.

$67 on B-ionics!

TWO PART man that would have been enough two part to run your tank for a few years.

12. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, the 67.00 was the 1 gallon jugs, plus i bought some epoxy and new test kits. Well maybe i will try reef crystals next time..

13. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So what kind of salt are you using, Wayne?

14. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Slovan, I'm using Instant Ocean.
    You are currently dosing nothing at this point in time.

15. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Wayne1 on 11/30/2007 7:57 PM
    Slovan, I'm using Instant Ocean.
    You are currently dosing nothing at this point in time.
    Nope, my tank is at the point where I don't need to add anything.  However, I will make the necessary adjustments if anything is out of line.  That's where frequent testing helps out.  Since you have new test kits, I think you'll be okay there.  IO is pretty good salt, it's tried and true.  Just continue testing and adjusting. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

16. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Will do. Thanks Slovan and everybody else for the help.