1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Ca Reactor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nrenn, Feb 16, 2017.

1. nrenn Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waverly, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Does a Ca reactor replace the need to dose Ca, Alk, and Mg? Where do you source your CO2 and regulator?

2. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    For the most part, yes. However, you can still experience some drift away from balanced Ca/Alk/Mg parameters. Odds are your tank's uptake won't be perfectly in line with the crushed coral and mag supplements in the reactor. If I remember correctly from when I was running a Ca Rx on my SPS tank, the Ca Rx generally resulted in a downward drift on Ca if I managed to get Alk dialed in perfectly. The Kalk stirrer was the opposite so I ran both to try to keep parameters balanced. Eventually I got frustrated with constantly tweaking these and never getting it right long term so I went with 3 part dosing.

3. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I also ran kalk stirrer through the ATO when I had my Ca reactor running. I had good luck holding my alk and Ca very stable and where I wanted when I went this route.