1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Buy/Sell/Trade Reminder

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by JB, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Interesting topic.

I pop in and out of the forums from time to time and there must be something going on that I haven't noticed with someone potentially abusing the B/S/T forums.

When I was on the BOD I helped write the current B/S/T guidelines with AJ and I don't remember this even being a topic of discussion - how times change!

Is there a re-work of the current B/S/T guidelines in the works? The current guidelines only call out commercial sellers and then indicate the seller needs to pay for commercial seller dues. Current guidelines also reference fraudulent sellers but only to the effect of someone guilty of "blatant fraud".

An easy fix would be to modify the current guidelines:

Sellers[/b]

[list type=decimal]
    [*]Please specify your location. If you don’t, it’s sure to be the first question that’s asked.
    [*]Items listed in this forum are to be reef related – selling or trading non-reef related items should be listed in the off topic forum.
    [*]An asking price or trade expectations should be listed in the post.
    [*]If you are willing to ship, please specify costs (approximate is fine for doing so in your listing. If you are not willing to ship, please indicate so.
    [*]It is permitted to post a link to someone else’s for sale ad on another site as a courtesy to the GIRS members (except if that seller meets the classification of a commercial seller). If you do so, please clearly indicate that it’s not your item and that you’re just posting a link as a courtesy.
    [*]Please try to include as many details about your item(s) as possible such as age, condition, usage history, repair history, location, defects, pictures, etc. A picture is worth a thousand words!
    Selling items that are illegal to own is strictly forbidden.
    Once an agreement has been made:

Please indicate that the item is pending sale.
    The seller should give reasonable expectations for a time to pickup. If these expectations are not met, the item can be put up for sale again.
    The seller should not take offers from others for more money (just like buyers should not offer).
    [/list type=decimal]

style="font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-weight: bold; color: #333333; list-style-type: decimal;">In some situations, it’s necessary to sell items very quickly and waiting for pickup is not practical. These are the sales where the first person to put cash in your hand for an item is the one that gets it. These sales should be clearly marked "CASH IN HAND SALE”. In these cases, holding the item for out of town buyers is at the sellers discretion. Properly labeling the sale will help to prevent miscommunications.
    [*]It’s strongly encouraged to honor the “fist come, first served” approach to offers for purchase. Honor the offers in the order they were received.
    [*]Selling to someone is done at the discretion of the seller. If there's a good reason not to sell to someone, they don’t have to. This should not be exploited to show preference to friends. If you want to show preference to your friends, offer the item for sale privately to them before posting it on forum.
    If you are not a GIRS club member and you repeatedly use this site to sell items without being involved in our community in any other way, you are at risk of having your B/S/T posting privileges removed (temporarily or permanently). The BOD will issue a warning to anyone suspected of abusing the B/S/T forums and reserves the right to revoke posting privileges at any time after the initial warning.

-Eric

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2015
  2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    That's a good suggestion Eric.

I think the current issue at hand is related to info currently posted under the Commercial Sellers Section:

"Are more than 15% of your posts related to the sale of a product that you are responsible for either delivering, growing or otherwise manufacturing?"

The change you suggest would make it more clear that this applies to everyone, whether you actually have a business or not.

-JB

3. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    JB,

Agree.

I initially was going to suggest an abbreviation of the current commercial guidelines:

Commercial Sellers[/b]

How can you tell if you're a "commercial" level seller?

[list type=decimal]
    [*]Are more than 15% of your posts related to the sale of a product that you are responsible for either delivering, growing or otherwise manufacturing?
    [*]Do you sell your products under a business name or file taxes for the business that's responsible for delivering, growing or otherwise manufacturing the items you're selling?
    Are you publicly offering a service at a price?
    [/list type=decimal]
    If you can answer "YES" to any one of these three questions, you're classified as a commercial seller. For commercial sellers to post items for sale, go to this URL (http://www.greateriowareefsociety.o...tabid=105) to find out about becoming a sponsor. Sponsors get access to the Commercial Members & Club Sponsors forum and are not limited to the number of for sale posts they wish to make.

To:

Are more than 15% of your posts related to the sale of a product?

[/b]

The impact to the offender would be that they would need to apply for the $40 commercial membership but that would revoke their ability to post in the general B/S/T forums.

I think the desired outcome is for someone to be involved in the community, either financially or with meaningful contributions to the forums, or limit their selling to other venues.

-Eric

4. rgreene

rgreene

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i know i spend more than 20 dollars on some corals just to watch them die so i have no problem giving 20 dollars to a club when there are so many members with knowledge that i dont have or ideas that i could use to put into my own system etc etc so ill always pay the 20

5. Reefman

Reefman Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Kyle
    What exactly are you referring to when you make this statement?

6. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Reefman,

Its in reference to a post from your nephew Clownman made about why should he become a member when the only ones that have helped him are Kpotter2,Travis G and Potroast! Clownman PM'd me for help with his Apex. I thought it was you and I still helped. Even know we had our differences when I was new to the site last year and we both said we would just agree to disagree basically. With out getting into more unnecessary drama I would like to leave it to that. I was just stating I still helped out someone in need and would still do so non member or member. Even if we had our differences in the past.

I apologized to Clownman for thinking it was him that I had my differences with.

Hope that clears things up!

KP

7. Nemesis

Nemesis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow!!
    I can say this ,I have saved money at ACC because I am a member, way more than my 20 bucks.. I have great guys that offer me things way cheaper than I could ever buy them because I am a member and know them and go to meetings. 20 bucks is to pay for the site that people use . Its nothing really . If you cant afford 20 bucks to pay for a membership that gives you so much in return, and believe me i have gotten a lot more than discounts and cheap equipment from it, then maybe this hobby is not for you. This hobby is a very expensive one and most of the time without the help of others who have been when your are it can be even more expensive. So yes memebership has its rewards. LOL

8. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm closing this thread as I think it's run it's course.

If anyone has questions about the B/S/T policies, please contact the GIRS Board of directors for further info.