1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Buy/Sell/Trade Reminder

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by JB, Jan 6, 2013.

1. clown man Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa city,iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -0
    Idk and I thank the people that have helped me but yea ik what u mean Iv tryed goin to the events but being in high school and pretty much starting up again my tank was hit by something everything died and I had nothing left now I'm now going to be around for a while because I'm actually on my way out of the country with my family and I try to do the most I can but it's hard and then there has bin people in the past that have actually just been very rude that's why Iv really bin thinking hard about it yea this club is awsome but there just some things people on here do that don't help the cause I have also brought things up to board members and they didn't seem to are what I thought... But I will give it a try for a year hope things get better

2. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Yes its would be a good Idea to just try again this year! We have a big year planed I just hope people plan to join us and we don't just have like 5 people at each meeting like in past.

KP

3. Andy The Reef Guy

Andy The Reef Guy Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know we've met at my home in private. As i recall we had a nice chat and you brought your uncle over to grab sone corals and chat. I've not seen you at a single area meet since I've been active in the area over the last three years. Not every club member represents the thoughts or feelings of the club as a whole, not even board members, no single person as a whole can. But as members it's something we all need to think about when we meet new people. Your experience in the club will be what you make of it. Nobody in our region is an outsider or treated poorly for their lack of experience or otherwise. As long as I've been involved that has always been the case and I've felt blessed to be involved with a community of accommodating, generous, and interesting members.

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Just for the record, I posted this warning because I'd rather NOT be asked by the BoD to take any further actions.

I don't think anybody has any issue with occasionally helping non-members or seeing non-members post stuff for sale now and then. That is really not the issue at all. There are just a few people that are crossing the line and using the site for their own personal classified system (which is not what it's here for). If you want to do that, it's fine, but pay your $20 for the right to do it.

If people read the rules post, it should be very clear to them whether or not they are in violation of our B/S/T rules.

Hopefully this is the last I will every have to say (or do) about it.

-JB

5. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Clown Man it may have been your Uncle that had our differences. I apologize. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

6. Andy The Reef Guy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Whoa whoa whoa! We've had GREAT turn out all year with the exception of August, but summertime is always low engagement with the nice weather and vacations. We had 12-20 members every month every other meet for the last two years.

7. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm gonna be honest: anyone who complains that they didn't get enough help from folks (when they weren't even members of the club), or that there are public and member's only sections of the site for a reason, or any of the other reasons people give for not forking out a measly $20 just doesn't get it. At all. The reasons for joining should be obvious, but let's recap: IT'S A CLUB. FOR THE HOBBY YOU ALREADY ENJOY. THERE ARE COOL PEOPLE WHO LIVE NEAR YOU. IF YOU JOIN YOU GET DISCOUNTS AND YOU GET TO COME TO AT LEAST 2 SHOWS EACH YEAR...AND ON AND ON.

Some of those people will give you free stuff sometimes because you're cool too and a member of the club. Some of those people will talk you down when your return pump won't start and your tank is overflowing and you're panicking. Sometimes you can carpool to get supplies together and enjoy the company of those cool people, Some of those people will will become your friends. And you wouldn't have met them if you weren't...A MEMBER OF THE CLUB.

I could understand if membership dues were $100 or something, but they're not. It's $20. If you're gonna use the site, pay it. Join us. We want to be in a club with you. If you join the club and think something ain't going the way you like it, get involved and help change it. And you could do that, because you'd be a member of the club.

I think it's great that the board is getting more proactive about this. There are folks with hundreds of posts who live on the buy/sell board and have never been a member. Not cool.

This ain't Reef Central, folks. It ain't craigslist. I think it's silly that folks who are highly involved in the club have to periodically justify to a certain subset of folks why they should join. It's ridiculous. People should be begging to join this club. If it's not for you, bon voyage. I've learned more here and met more great folks than any other hobby-related group I've been a part of. But then again, when I came to the site, I joined up pretty quick when I saw what a great resource it was and I have been active and put myself out there as much as I could.

Here's another true fact for you: You get back what you put in. Chew on that for a while. Maybe it'll sink in.

8. Tholton33

Tholton33 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Preach!

9. erayk1 Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Coralville, IA
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    I love Dead Fish lol

10. jstngates Experienced Reefkeeper

Toledo Iowa
    Ratings:
    +40 / 1 / -0
    Agreed well put!

11. Travis G

Travis G Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    my queation is, if a person was to join, would there threads get more traffic? ive posted in the general, off topic, and buy/sell. hardly ever get a reply. to anything. cept in off topics. pretty high traffic. but general and buy/sell its crickets. so would this change with membership dues paid?

12. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    And yet you have 642 posts. Travis, my friend, the answer to your question is a quick paypal transaction away.

Why not take the plunge with your 643rd post and let's see how things shape up. If you don't think being a member is worth the $20 at the end of the year I'll personally pay you back.

13. Andy The Reef Guy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No the members bst forum is a ghost town. Maybe you're just asking too much, maybe you're selling things nobody wants..... Idk I've made RIDICULOUS amts of money selling things on here. But then again this community is about so much more than that

14. jstngates Experienced Reefkeeper

Toledo Iowa
    Ratings:
    +40 / 1 / -0
    Maybe. I think you need to get out and meet more people.

15. Tholton33

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You want to know if paying $20 will help your threads every week to sell all your stuff so you can downsize/upgrade and back and forth? No it wont. Most if your threads in the buy/sell are trades or WTB the reason no one replies is they have no interest in the items you have to offer thats not the fault of being a member or not.

16. Andy The Reef Guy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yea wtb threads are a craps shoot. You're basically asking "hey does anybody have an extra (fill in the blank) in their pile of extra reef crap in their basement." Often the things we want to buy are the things most if want to have and so we're using them. Doesn't hurt to ask but I never carry very high expectations. Now you might con one of us out of a nice frag of something for dirt cheap. I can think of a dozen different corals I offer up for 15-20 bucks that go for 50-60 in retail stores. I'm not getting rich, but it's nice to recoup some after $10-12k and 10 years in the hobby. It's been a journey, but I have many people here to thank for my success.

17. Travis G

Travis G Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i dont desire posts on selling or buying my crap. but post a thread about a new tank and not **** gets said. ask about posting pics, nothing. so, do people judge a thread by if they are a member?

also i dont mind putting my business out there but i have $43 in my checking acct to last till the 15th of january. so yea to me $20 is a lot. and for everybody that says $20 aint **** help a non member out. its ONLY $20... right? id like to join but, as i have stated before i dont get the opportunities to go to events. but i dont wanna join and nothing change for me.

18. Tholton33

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if you go to your next regional meeting and decide its not so bad and might want actually be apart of a group of people that share the same interests as you. as well as pay it forward to the club that has given you the oppourtunity to learn and buy/sell items here. then PM me i will pay your dues

19. jstngates Experienced Reefkeeper

Toledo Iowa
    Ratings:
    +40 / 1 / -0
    I will go in on half if your serious enough Travis. I do know you'd pay if you had the money.

20. Andy The Reef Guy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Look, the fiscal argument is something completely different. I've been there too man, I started this hobby at a time when I was going to college. I hardly had extra money to put my tank together. Years have past, things have changed......The value argument is something else. Again, you get out of the club what you put in. If you don't put effort forward to make yourself more visible as part of the community, you're going to have fewer people interested and comfortable in dealing with you. Building a reputation, member or non-member, has a lot to do with it. But in terms of value, you'll not get more utility, more bang for your buck out of a $500 APEX controller than you will in the $20 membership and small investments of time with your area chapter.

Did you go to Fall Fest? I worked at Fall Fest. I could have pocketed $1200+ there as a vendor and instead I put in 30-40hours of work every week the month prior, and worked my *** off the day of the event (and night before and after entertaining our speakers (a pleasure really)) and I did it all for free. The only thing I've asked in return is for people to help themselves to the community, support our efforts, and get involved.

If you pay your dues and don't do anything to engage in the community, then you won't get anything out of it. Unless you go to a Fest event. These trade shows in and of themselves are enough to justify it. If you are really into the hobby, you wouldn't miss it for anything. There's always a coworker to trade with/vacation time to take/wives to piss off. Be at Spring Fest, and know how much everyone working there put into it just so our members would have an awesome day.