1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Burlington reef guy

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Luukosian, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Luukosian

Luukosian

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Long time listener first time poster. Hello everybody, I'm from burlington just thought I would finally post here and maybe share my tank with some people around here. 
    Equipment:
    55 gal display w/ hang on overflow
    10 gallon sump/refugium
    4x54 individual reflector t-5 lighting
    aquac remora skimmer in the sump
    quiet one 3000 return pump
    couple maxi jet powerheads for flow
    fish:
    percula clown
    blue damsel
    royal gramma
    wasp fish(Vespicula depressifrons)
    inverts:
    Coral banded shrimp
    2 peppermint shrimp(one who rides the pvc down to the sump every day like its his own personal water slide)
    pencil urchin
    longspin urchin in sump(holding for a friend...not convinced hes safe in display yet)
    various snails....turbo, astrea, some kind of abalone/nerites
    various hermits
    black brittle star
    unidentified brittle star(kind of red and white, really nice pattern, I'll get a picture when I can)
    corals:
    bunch of softies and just got a montipora digitata that is doing good
    These pics are a couple months old so everything has grown quite a bit since then, tank is about a year old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MULE

MULE Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

I thought the fish in the second pic. was a peice of rock .How long has the tank been set up?

3. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    First of all, welcome to GIRS.

Nice tank you have going. I have two long spine urchins doing fine in my tank. They just tumble some frag rocks I have every once in a while.

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS!

Nice looking tank, I didn't notice that fish (Wasp?) in the one photo until I looked at the photo a second time... Good camo!

-JB

5. Luukosian

Luukosian

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Had it set up a little over a year, most of these pics are like at the 6 month mark so any algae you see is gone now.  Yeah the wasp blends in pretty good I actually converted him from brackish over the course of several months, hes been in the reef since day one but was in my brackish setup for about a year and a half before.  He mainly cruises the tanks looking for pods and is ussualy outcompeted for any frozen food by the other fish. First three spines on his head are poisonous but have yet to try it out lol. I think he's alot happier since I've set up the reef tank.....Ill go grab the camera and grab a few full tank shots once the daylights come on(around 1pm)

6. MULE

MULE Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes more pics. please

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks nice. That fish in pic 2 is cool and I like the yellow polyps in pic 1. I bet it's cool to watch how they move in the water column. Good stuff.

--AJ

8. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    The longspine urchin in my tank ate my montipora. Plus he grew from golf ball size to basketball size in the space of under two years.

Very neat waspfish. I've never seen one in a tank before.

9. Luukosian

Luukosian

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Are you sure it actually ate the monti? ouch! You sure it wasn't just trying to eat algae off it and killed it? Guess it will have to stay in the sump because the next coral im looking to purchase is a shelfing monti.
    ps. posted newer pics of tank in the photo section