1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Bulk Reef Supply order

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by beckerj3, Oct 23, 2008.

1. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    Hi all.  I put a post about a DFS order.  I also plan to place an order with Bulk Reef Supply for magnesium, calcium component, and GFS.  Anyone in DSM area wanting to add to the order?  I just found out that my magnesium is way low (thanks to the club meeting on Tuesday night), so I'm planning to place an order on Saturday.  Do we have any club buy with them?????

2. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I will get two gallons (9 Pounds) of Kalkwasser for $19.99.
    Also 3 packets Pinpoint 7.0 calibration fluid and 3 packets 10. calibration fluid for a total of $6
    Great timing Jeannette.

3. cowdust9

cowdust9 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah i need some salifert test kits, phosphate-17.99, ammonia- 17.99, nitrate-17.99,and nitrite- 14.99 sould be 68.96 for all that

4. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    So here's what I have for the order so far:
    Cowdust9:     salifert test kits, phosphate-17.99, ammonia- 17.99, nitrate-17.99,and nitrite- 14.99 - total of $68.96
    jtesdall:         Two gallons (9 Pounds) of Kalkwasser for $19.99;  3 packets Pinpoint 7.0 calibration fluid and 3 packets 10. calibration fluid for a total of $6 - grand total or $25.99
    beckerj3:        Magnesium pak (1 gal) - $9.99; 1 gallon Calcium chloride - $16.99; 1 pound GFO - $22.99 - total of $49.97
    Let me know if I've missed anything.  Since they don't ship until Monday, I'll place the order Sunday evening.
    As for dosing with two-part, I'm starting to get a little tired of adding daily, but I'm not up for spending $150 for two automatic dosing pumps.  Anyone doing anything different???

5. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes, but you need controller or auto topoff. Top off with 100% Kalk. Until you have heavy SPS growth this works great then you will have to add a Calcium Reactor like I am getting ready to do.

6. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    I thought about switching to Kalkwasser, but am not clear on what's needed to prepare/mix/use it.  Can one simply mix with RO/DI water (at proper dosing rate), and then use as top-off water - with or w/o an automatic dosing machine??  But I've also seen Kalkwasser stirrers ($217 from Bulk Reef supply).  Does one need to use a Kalkwasser stirrer??  If it is sufficient to just mix with top-off water, why would anyone buy a Kalkwasser stirrer??

7. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    You can use it as top off but you can't just pour it in. It has to be added slowly because its pH is 12. It either has to be dripped or "topped off" using a very slow pump. I use 1/4 inch tubing and a maxi-jet. The stirrer is to stir up the lime (Kalk) and then you let it settle. You need to have saturated RO/DI water and then suck off of the top so you only get saturated water and not the powder. If you pour or pump after or during stirring then you will get a snow storm which can harm corals, fish and raise you pH. I have a DIY stirrer that works pretty well but I control it with an aquacontroller..
    Many people just use an IV drip or something homade. Actually most people who have used Kalk have started this way. But it gets frustrating because they clog.

8. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I will put together this order to calculate shipping tonight. Everyone
    on the order please paypal me (plus 5% paypal fees or is it 3?) or drop
    payment by my office by tomorrow night. I will order tomorrow night.

9. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    Joel - Based on our discussion yesterday, I'm going to drop the GFO from the Bulk Reef Supply order and instead order the Phospure on the DFS order.  Is that the GFO that you were referring to yesterday?
    So, my BRS order should be:
    Replacement Magnesium Pak (Full gallon)     $9.99
    1 Gallon Calcium chloride                               $16.99
    One ounce dispensing pumps (2) @ $2.25    $4.50
    100 ml graduated measuring cups (2) @ .79 $1.58
    Total                                                               $33.06
    I'll send an updated DFS order a little later this evening.

10. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Total shipping on the order below is $12 so although John has more $'s, ours weighs more. So we will go $4 each on shipping unless someone else jumps in. Totals are below with shipping, please Paypal to my email address. PM me if you don't have it.
    Cowdust9:    
    salifert test kits, phosphate-17.99
    ammonia- 17.99,
    nitrate-17.99,
    and nitrite- 14.99 -
    S/H - 4
    total of $72.96
    jtesdall:        
    Two
    gallons (9 Pounds) of Kalkwasser for $19.99
    3 packets Pinpoint 7.0
    calibration fluid and 3 packets 10. calibration fluid for a total of $6
    -
    grand total or $29.99
    beckerj3:       
    Replacement Magnesium Pak (Full gallon)     $9.99
    1 Gallon Calcium chloride                               $16.99
    One ounce dispensing pumps (2) @ $2.25    $4.50
    100 ml graduated measuring cups (2) @ .79 $1.58
    Total                                                               $37.06

11. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ordered. I had it shipped to my office so I am hopeful of Friday since they are in Minnesota. If so I will be at my office until 6PM on Friday for pickup.

12. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It shipped today so hopefully it will be at my office Friday. I will keep you all posted.

13. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well that is impressive, the Bulk Reef Supply order is here at my office. I will be working late so is John or Jeanette want pick up their stuff you can.  If you want to wait and see what comes tomorrow tht is fine too, but I will on my home by 6 Friday night.

14. cowdust9

cowdust9 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i will come tonight i dont get off til 7 tomorrow so...