1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Buffing Out Scratches on Acrylic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bela, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I took the plunge on that 150g acrylic tank that was on eBay. Was able to go down to $300 even with it, which made me happy. It really is in good shape, but it does have a few scratches that I would like to buff out before I start the task of cycling it. There are plenty of products that I saw reading online, but I was hoping someone here on the forums may have used one of them and had good (or bad) experiences and could let me know what to go for (or stay away from).
    Also if you all could recommend a cleaner, as well as cleaning cloth, that I can safely use on the outside of the tank. I think I have a pretty good idea of cleaning the inside of the glass as the original owner went over that with me in pretty good detail :)
    Thanks all!
    ~ Bela

2. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Really? Nobody has had any experience with this? /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif

3. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    There's not that many people with acrylic tanks so you might have to wait for the right person to log in and see your post. I'm sure someone will have some ideas for you.

-JB

4. varner

varner

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    that was a great tank glad somebody picked it up as for the scratches it matters how bad they are but i was amazed on how well Novus 3,2,and 1 works to remove all but the deepest scratches wish i would of done the inside and outside of my tank but was told that the inside scratches wouldn't be seen with water in it WRONG you can see all of them take the time to do both sides of all viewing panels before setting up. Also if you already set the tank up EVERCLEAR at http://etr-inc.com/index.php they have great kits to finish the acrylic like new i got the one that works inside the tank it hooks onto my magnavore 6 and it works great just alot more work than if would of used the Novus kit first.

Would recomend the Novus and just remember to keep the buffing pad coated and let the buffer do the work.

5. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks varner. I wouldn't say any of the scratches are deep, I just wanted to take care of things before I fill the tank since I think that would be easier. None of them are really all that noticable but I am stupidly anal about scratches on anything of mine LOL