1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Bubble tip splitting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by h2so4hurts, Dec 9, 2008.

1. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I came home today to what I thought was a dying bubble tip anemone.  I've been slowly raising my magnesium up to accomodate some new sps frags I got on Saturday so I thought maybe I raised it too high and too fast (from 1100 to 1400 over 3.5 days).  The anemone was hidden behind its rock and pointing straight down all shriveled up and its tentacles were like needles, but they were a very vibrant blue green.  I got on my laptop to try to find pics of an anemone splitting and couldn't find anything that looked like mine.  I took a look again and it had extruded its mouth and looked like a mushroom!  Then 10 minutes later it started moving in two directions and spreading out.  Now I can see two distinct halves.  It's a lot like watching mitosis /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif  Anyway, I'm not sure how excited I am about having two bubble tips for my clowns to ignore...  I could be convinced to get rid of one for free if it starts running over my new frags!  I'll post pics once it's done splitting (although I'm sure this is something you've all seen before, I just think its cool!)

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    post pics.   I've been feeding mine daily hoping it'll split.

3. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By REEFer Madness on 12/09/2008 05:59 PM
    post pics.   I've been feeding mine daily hoping it'll split.
    If you have been feeding it like that it will probably split after a large water change.  Anemones hate changes and split from survival instincts.  In my Anemone tanks I've intentionally done water changes with cold water just to piss them off and induce splitting.

4. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've never seen it...I would be interested in seeing the pics...please post!

--AJ

5. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds pretty cool. My devils hand has done that a few times and the first time worried me too. Thought it was dying then realized it was just splitting. Kind of a neat process to watch. If you start to get too many let me know, I would be more than glad to take one off your hand, maybe do a trade of some sort. Can't wait to see pics.

6. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well the one that split off is still hiding. I think it's pretty small because I can only see one or two tentacles poking out from behind the rock. We'll see if it comes out over the next few days!

7. brtfreud

brtfreud Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mine always take a week to come back out after splitting.

8. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    mine split a few weeks back and now both of them are bigger than before the split.

9. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mine just split as well and seem to be doing well. Hope they get bigger now!?!?

10. Rustin

Rustin Inactive User GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wish mine would split. Its huge and is gonna force me to get a bigger tank.

11. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I set up a 10 gallon tank with new water.  Then took out 50% and traded it with tank water so it would be like a 50% change to my RBTA.  3 days now and nothing. 

12. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think now that maybe it was just acting stupid because it's out and looks good and I can't see the "split" one. False alarm /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif