1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

bubble-magus skimmers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cowdust9, Jul 7, 2009.

1. cowdust9

cowdust9 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i just put one on my tank. I got the 160L. It was super hard to get adjusted untill it fully broke in, now it is skimming pretty good and is nice and dark. Here is a picture of the bubble chamber. There is MASSIVE amounts of micro bubbles that this thing produces!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    A bubble king knock off but more patriotic?

4. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    LOL that is what I was thinking!

5. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    WOW only 150 bucks? How do they compare to the high end skimmers? Is this another "get what you pay for" situation? /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif
    http://bubble-magus.com/
    Well judging by the website they are a Chinese company, with the typically poor English translation. Doesn't mean they are bad though. I really am interested to hear how these things perform. Is the constructions sound or does it seem to be made of cheap plastic?

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    did anyone read my REPLY up above???? Its made of cast acrylic. Its not a bad skimmer at all. It skims awesome. I just emptied my collection cup last night. I will take a picture of the skimmate tonight when I get home to give an idea of what it pulls out. Its a nice dark skimmate. I cant be happier for the price paid. Check out reef central, there is about a 23 page thread on there about these skimmers.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    oh, and the US site is nuocean.com

8. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I read your reply above, though it wasn't very detailed, hence the additional questions. Were you using another skimmer before that you can maybe compare this thing's performance to? I would also be interested in long term performance, as it sounds like you have only had it for a short time?

9. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You also mentioned it took a long time to get it to skim where you wanted. Is this just adjustments, mods, or what? Thanks by the way for the previous and upcoming pics and effort :)

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    bela, the above wasnt meant for you necessarily. ive only had the skimmer for about a week. it took about 48 hours to break in and now the level is rock steady and simple. all skimmers require a break in period, that is perfectly normal. the skimmer works flawlessly now and like i said, is rock steady. it needs constant adjustment during breakin but this is normal

11. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No worries. Was reading a lot of forums and people seem to like this brand. In fact, I can't really find any posts that have anything BAD to say about the skimmer. What size tank do you have? I am thinking of getting the same model as you for a 150g display with maybe another 100g of sump/refugium. Think that would work ok? I expect to have between a medium/heavy bioload down the road once everything is up and running. Also what sort of pump do you use for feeding the skimmer. I don't believe it ships with one does it?

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ive got a 125 display, 14 gallon fuge and 20 gallon sump. They rate this model to 220 gallons I believe with medium bio load. So you SHOULD be fine, but might want to go up to the next model. I just looked in the collection cup, and I bet it has skimmed out about 3/4 of an inch worth of skimmate in the cup in the last 24 hours. Dark dry skimmate. Its working MUCH better then my last skimmer, which was junk from the get go. Im also using a Marineland 300 GPH pump to feed it with, and just running it wide open. I would have to guess that its around 200-250 gph with the little bit of head height I have on the pump. Any other questions and please dont hesitate to ask, or PM me.