1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Bubble Algae

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bobsfish, May 18, 2009.

1. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have some bubble algae forming and did a web search for ways to get rid of it. I found this technique on Reef Sanctuary using super glue. Has anyone tried it? Any other techniques?
    Reef Sanctuary Forum
    "Easy bubble algae removal: To easily remove bubble algae that is taking over and keep it from breaking or dislodging and possibly spreading take some super glue gel, spread it over the mass, work in into the bubbles, allow it to dry for 10 minutes or so and peel it off. The bubbles all come away without breaking or getting away from you and dissapearing in your reef only to settle and regrow. "

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had a little that came with some of my live rock. I used multiple methods simultaneously to get rid of it. I have not seen it back. Here's what I did.

1) Manually remove what you can. I have a nano tank, so I was able to remove the rock and work on it. I used my fingers and tweezers to get rid of most of it. I was very thorough. Some of it still remained in areas that I could not reach..nothing I could do about that. Once I was done, I rinsed the water in freshly mixed saltwater and then disposed of that water. The idea was to get any spores that may have come from any of the bubble algae that I popped...and yes, a few burst while I was removing them. Even the ones that burst, I did my best to scrape out all pieces of the bubble.  During this process, I was careful not to leave the rock out of the water for too long as I didn't want to kill anything else on the rock.  I went in 5 minute intervals.  5 minutes in water, 5 minutes out.

2) GFO - I used GFO to help reduce the phosphates so that the algae had less "food" and was not able to grow as quickly

3) Emerald crab - I purchased a small emerald crab to clean up what was left. Some people don't like this because they pop the bubbles releasing the spores into the water of your tank, but it did the trick for me.

Those things all together permanently removed bubble algae from my tank.

--AJ

3. bobsfish

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tips ...btw, what's GFO? ...the algae spread last week when I was on travel - I picked up an Emerald Crab from SoM, but I think there's more algae than crab.

4. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    GFO is Granular Ferric Oxide which is a phosphate reducer. It's typically put in a media bag in a high flow area of your sump or in a media reactor. I buy mine from Bulk Reef Supply (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Carbo...index.html), but there are all different kinds that you can buy from different vendors.

--AJ

5. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    I've got a 75 gal tank and had alot of bubble algae.  I tried many times to remove it with tweezers.  But, unfortunately it was so widespread, and not possible to remove all pieces of live rock from the tank and clean one at a time.  It always came back.  This last summer at the DFS coral conference I got a free sample bottle of API Algaefix Marine.  I tried it on the tank and it did absolute wonders at removing the bubble algae.  It also did a super job of removing the other tough algae that had been growing on my rocks for several years.  Now I have no bubble algae, and my rocks are just covered with the nice looking coraline algae.  I discontinued using the Algaefix when the bottle was empty.  I know others don't like to use these products and I will tend to avoid them as well, but I haven't had a reoccurance of the bubble algae, and no ill effects (the only possible downside you could say is that since I now have no algae, I have to supplement my tank with seaweed to feed the tangs!)  I'd use it again if the need arose.   There's also a thread on Reef Central where others have reported good results with this product also.

6. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I dropped in an emerald crab (10g tank) and it cleaned up all my algae (and tiny bit of bubble) in a matter of a few days. Now he just peacefully hangs out on rocks cleaning away!

7. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i put an emerald in my 125 and he dissapeared /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif he was eating bunch of it last time i saw him. i think i need another emerald

8. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    Oh I forgot, I also tried the emerald crab route (probably 1 1/2 yrs ago).  Bought two of them - they didn't touch my bubble algae at all.  Haven't seen them in a long, long time.

9. bobsfish

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I've seen my emerald out and about eating algae, but not the bubble algae. However, I think there's more algae than crab !! I've been wondering if I've been dosing too much - I re-read the chapter in Bob Fenner's book, Conscientious Marine Aquarist - he's of the opinion that additives to the tank are likely the biggest culprit to feeding algae. Given that I've got a new tank, I only have one waving hand, 4 kenyas, and 1 feather duster. I've been putting in 1/2 dose of Marine Snow and Iodine per week. The waving hand and kenyas have grown like crazy in the past couple weeks, but that's when my algae exploded also....so, I'm wondering if I'm causing the problem....any thoughts for a green newbee?

10. Big Country

Big Country Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just picked out 2 pea sized bubble algae lumps from my 125...they were a lot more firm than what I anticipated (had thought about getting an emerald crab or two, but gambled with manual removal first...if they come back I may still go crab shopping). Basically I rolled them loose from the live rock they were on and took them out of the tank...I have read to be careful not to break them.

11. bobsfish

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Big Country on 06/01/2009 04:14 PM
    I just picked out 2 pea sized bubble algae lumps from my 125...
    Mine aren't that big - I had some that were maybe 2 millimeters across. I dumped a bunch of Kalk on the group and they disappeared. The ones I have remaining are very small - about a half-millimeter. I haven't quite decided what to do about them. The emerald crab is not very interested in the bubble algae - at least, not that I've noticed. I haven't tried the super glue technique I originally posted...or, I might do the kalk thing again. I bought a bottle of Algaefix, but I'm afraid to use it. I'll exhaust my other options first.