1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor(s)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StoneFunk, Oct 12, 2016.

1. StoneFunk

Polk City, IA
    Ratings:
    +20 / 2 / -0
    I don't currently have a GFO or Carbon Reactor though I do run carbon in a small mesh bag inside my filter sock. I am looking at the BRS reactors and was hoping for some opinions. My tank is 75 gallon and I am quickly running out of space beneath it with my sump, ATO, dosers, supplies, and a cerebra controller that I still need to mount.

While I am sure I could rearrange everything to fit a couple of reactors in, I started looking at the combined Carbon/GFO reactors, specifically the BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor Deluxe. It sounds like going this route is a bit more wasteful since the carbon needs replaced more often than GFO, but are there any other disadvantages? My other thought is going with the BRS Dual reactors, but I know this will force me to get creative to fit them in.

Appreciate the help.

2. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    IMO it is wasteful to have both in the same container. I understand your space concern, but not much space is needed inside the sump itself - except for the pumps. I have my reactors mounted outside my sump.

3. Whitey

Ames, IA
    Ratings:
    +20 / 1 / -0
    If you're looking for the dual, let me know. I have the BRS dual with the recommended pump for sale, brand new for almost half what you'll pay at BRS.

4. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I have run the dual reactor for quite a while now. Works good for me but I am not limited by space under stand.
    Why don't you just get the single reactor and either just continue running carbon in bag in the sump or put gfo on bottom of reactor and put carbon in a bag and just put it on top of gfo in reactor. That way you can pull bag, replace gfo then throw bag back in.

5. I have 2 of the BRS reactors, I use a large one for GFO and a double for 0.8 carbon, flow has stayed consistent with ease of adjustment, install was easy too used poly line with JG fittings.

I give em 5 stars

6. StoneFunk

Polk City, IA
    Ratings:
    +20 / 2 / -0
    Hmm, I might be interested in that. They aren't super expensive, but half price sounds even better. Sounds like I should probably just make the room and stick with separate reactors. I will shoot you a PM.

7. StoneFunk

Polk City, IA
    Ratings:
    +20 / 2 / -0
    It was a tight fit, but managed to rearrange it all and make it work. Now just need to do some cable management and figure out a permanent spot for the controller.

IMG_3213.JPG

Oh, and the left side. Also pretty cramped, but hopefully less once I get everything plugged into the controller or battery backup.

IMG_3216.JPG