1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

brown algae???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by snowman82, Feb 15, 2009.

1. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    how much is too much of this stuff, it seems to be taking over everything.  i noticed a considerable change in this morning around 11 till now 3.  on rock, sand, tank walls, everything.  looks like poooo!
    Chris

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How new is your tank? Is it diatom algae? If so, it's just part of the cycling process and next you'll get some green hair algae.

3. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    its about 4 weeks or so, it could be diatom, but it could be from my lights being on too long, they were running for about 8 hours, i'm thinking i need to cut that way down since i moved from PC's to halides and a more intense light. what you think?

4. REEFer Madness

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    True, true. If you have more than one MH bulb, you can cut just have 1 one at a time for 4 hrs. Soon you'll be getting some pods and they'll be multiplying and they love diatom algae. Just keep testing your water and keep your parameters in check and don't worry, like as I said earlier, this is just part of the cycling process and it's nothing to worry about.

5. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you happen to know if a huge *** brittle starfish will eat little hermit crabs?

6. REEFer Madness

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, I know they like meat.  I wouldn't put it past them one bit.

7. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well looks like i might be gettng rid of that. i have only noticed 2 of my 12 crabs i bought and i watched it try and eat my anemone last night.

8. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Brown algae is really common at about 4 weeks. Just turn your lights down to 6hrs or so a day (off would be best if you don't have coral). Should take about another week to disappear as long has you have clean water and good params. If you're not using ro/di, it probably won't go away completely.