1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Bristleworms

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bela, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What are your thoughts on bristelworms? I have some smaller ones in my 10g.

2. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bela they are good for your tank in small numbers. If you start to see allot of them then you may want to remove some from your tank from time to time.
    Hope this helps.
    Happy Reefing!!

3. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, they do no harm unless you touch them and even then they usually don't hurt that bad.

-JB

4. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    how would you go about removing them?

5. rvarner

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My brother grabbed a handful of big one's after cleaning out his first tank during an upgrade. That was the only time! His hand burned and was numb for a day or two. He's gonna see this on here, I'm dead meat!

6. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    i grabbed one about a 14-16" long once and tried to pull it out of the rock. i had pry about 40 bristles each in 2 fingers. They both swelled up and was stiff for 2 days.

7. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, good to know I guess, although not so good if I ever have to remove them. Will latex gloves work or will the spines penetrate those too?

8. Big John

Big John Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How bout getting a 6 Line Wrasse to control them?--I think this is the eater.
    Nick could tell ya.

9. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    If you have to many there is a very good chance that your over feeding.
    They are scavengers and available food usually dictates how many you have at any given time.

10. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am not sure what too many is, I haven't really counted them, just seen them at night. I doubt i am overfeeding, I am more abusing if anything to this tank, sometimes I feed twice a week, sometimes once of the frozen stuff we made at the DIY fish food event. I feed about the size of half a dime at a time. I have a bicolor blenny and a firefish in there with an assortment of coral frags.

11. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    i sixline will eat the smaller ones. most wrasse will eat them though too. as well as a coral banded shrimp.  Well i dont know if a latex glove would save you or not. i have bled grabing some before. anymore i use stainless steel feeding tongs

12. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Bela I dont think you are over feeding at all, I feed my tank every day and twice two days a week!

If you look around I think some one makes a bristleworm trap that you just bait it and it will trap them in it then you just pull it out.

Hope this helps.

13. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Bela on 09/05/2009 01:47 PM
    I am not sure what too many is, I haven't really counted them, just seen them at night. I doubt i am overfeeding, I am more abusing if anything to this tank, sometimes I feed twice a week, sometimes once of the frozen stuff we made at the DIY fish food event. I feed about the size of half a dime at a time. I have a bicolor blenny and a firefish in there with an assortment of coral frags.
    It doesn't sound like your over feeding, A few isn't a problem at all, Its when you have them coming out of all the nooks and crannies when you feed that you know you have to many.
    They are beneficial so I wouldn't worry about them.