1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Brain Storming an Aiptasia Tool

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Madjabjoe, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Madjabjoe

Madjabjoe Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have been battling my Aiptasia for some time now and have a problem that I have not found a solution for yet. Can anyone think of a tool or thing that I can hook to the end fo my  Joe's Juice syringe the will allow me to make a hook (J) or 90 degree angle. I have a few Aiptasis that I can not get to with the strait or normal pointer adapter that comes with the Joe's Juce product. I'm thinking of some thing like the flexi straws but small enouth to fit the syring. Thanks for help?

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Aiptasia-X comes with a bent applicator that makes it easier to get into tight spots.

That being said, I think it's always going to be tough to get those hard to read ones in a tank with a decent amount of rock work. That's why I highly recommend a Copperband Butterfly or Peppermint shrimp. They can get into those little nooks and crannies better than any tool you'd be able to come up with.

If you get a CBB, make sure you see it picking at the rockwork and/or eating food at the store before you buy it. That's a good rule in general, but it's particularly important with those. Also, be sure and read up on them before you add one to make sure they are compatible with your tank.

Peppermints can be hit or miss. There are a couple varieties out there and supposedly one is more likely to eat Aiptasia than the other.

-JB

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    To do some of my target feeding, I use a syringe with some flexible plastic tubing. If you wrap a wire around the tube, you can get it into just about any shape you want. Also, there is some stiffer tubing that I bought for hooking up the ice maker in my refrigerator that's a little stiffer and will hold a wide curve if I bend it when it's hot and cool it. It's probably not the kind of precision that you need, but it might help.

--AJ

4. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Joe I know Jeremy had a couple hundred bottles of aiptasia-x so he may have a couple extra of the bent applicator.

Give me a message about it

5. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I have plenty of bent applicators, come and get em'....

I suggest peppermint shrimp, they have worked wonders for me.