1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Bo Bo`s Fish Store NEW Stock

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Guest, Mar 18, 2008.

1. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure someone else will chime in here but I don't believe those are black percs but clarkii?  Travis?

2. Benji

Benji Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By ruggerkc on 03/19/2008 12:32 PM
    Morish Idols do not do well in aquariums do they?Below is a table of data that was collected in a study I worked on regarding mortality rates of Moorish Idols in captivity with Kieron Dodds while an undergrad.  It would be great if BoBo(or if a forum member acquires this fish could keep us updated on the status of this particular specimen).  If any one has any questions on the rearing of these fish..feel free to ask.  I am NOT advocating one way or another on the keeping of the Moorish Idol.  While this hobby is based on pushing bounderies, there is a fine line between nessecary risks and reckless irresponsibility.  While I am of the opinion that any attempt to keep these fish in captivity is futile and failure is inevitable...those that have the means, resources, and time to research may have a chance at success.  The lack of knowledge provided to hobbyist, dealers, wholesalers, and those that harvest marine life is to blame.  Most fellow hobbyist are quick to ridicule others for keeping Zebrasoma g. (tangs) in a 30g tank yet, won't bat an eye at a Moorish Idol in like living conditions.
    Time Survived                                   Number
    Less than one week                                 280
    1-2 weeks                                                 38
    2 weeks - 1 month                                    15
    1 - 2 months                                              6
    2 - 6 months                                              5              
    6 months - 1 year                                      12
    1 - 2 years                                                  7
    2 - 5 years                                                  19
    Total                                                          382
    Sample fish where housed in a aquariums >450g in volume
    over a 3 year period (which is the only constant variable) (an absolute minimum volume of 200g is needed to house Moorish Idols) .  Portions of this study are published in the Jan. 2008 TFH pp. 111-118.

3. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    looks like black saddelback clowns to me

4. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By fnvarner on 03/21/2008 9:50 PM
    looks like black saddelback clowns to me
    Ah, we have a winner!!!  They are the black variant of A. Polymnus (aka the black saddle back clown).   These are most likely wild caught as there has only been a few as in 3 cases of spawning this clownfish in captivity, but they are certainly not A. Percula.  These fish make great tank mates and have a special bobbing swimming style that is characteristic of only this clown species.  One of my favorites, but not what I am looking ofr right now... :(  
    Robyn, I am looking for wild caught black ocellaris as the US bloodline is pretty inbred at this point.  If I were not looking to breed them I would definatly be looking for tank raised as they are less likely to be infected with anything, are trained on frozen foods, and do better in captivity.

5. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    arent linkia stars have about the same success rate as moorish idols as well, from what i heard most are lucky to get em to live 2 years if that

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much for the info, I'll let the wholesale people know too.

7. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Back to the point of this thread...........nice fish Bo Bo!   I do not live close enough to you to frequent your store but I can see that you are trying hard to get fish etc for your customers and that is to be commended.
    I recognized the clown as not being a perc because I have one black and white perc and one saddleback (thanks guys) in my tank.  Now I want you to know I was unaware that I wasn't buying a perc on the second purchase of a very juvenile fish (duh huh?)  but anyway the saddleback has a great personality and took to a RBTA pretty quick.  Someone should be very happy to have that pair in their tank.