1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

bluespot jawfish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anna, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We had this guy for about a month and a half, before he died mysteriously.  This is probably the coolest reef related picture I've ever taken though, so I thought I would share.  We still have the tailspot blenny who is a beautiful little fish, but is a bit of a bully (good thing he's small!).
    [​IMG]

2. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bluespot jawfish are such amazing colored fish! I'm sorry for your loss.

I just got a tailspot blenny and he is still REALLY shy. He's been in QT for 3 days now, and rarely leaves the back right corner of the tank. He did explore one of the PVC pipes the day we got him - but since they he just sits in his corner. Luckily he's eating what little flake I can get in front of him (he won't move to far to eat so I have to drop it right in front of him). Hopefully he just needs to get used to his new surroundings. I think it will also help for him to be with other fish once he gets to the display.

3. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry that you lost it. It's a beautiful fish. What are the requirements to keep one? I might try one if they're not too hard to keep.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Easy to keep, afaik, but will certainly do better with a deep sand bed. They build burrows under rocks and then spent lots of time being cute and poking their head out to watch you.

5. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They are notorious jumpers (need something smaller than eggcrate covering the tank). They are also easily stressed from what I have read. Ours seemed to be thriving right up until we lost him. The only thing that seemed out of the ordinary is that a day before we lost him, he started swimming around the tank probably 85% of the time, rarely spending time in his burrow. He had a really cool personality (very inquisitive), and his behavior was fascinating - it was hilarious to watch him pick up a snail or crab that ventured too close to his burrow and spit it halfway across the tank! I'd definitely like to have another one at some point.

6. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Where did you find him? Local or online? I haven't been able to find one online, yet.

7. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I actually found him at Coralville Bay of all places. And the girl working there sold him to me for $60 (which is really quite cheap - online I usually see them for $99 to $150). I felt kind of bad when we got home and realized the going rate on them. Sometimes you can find them on the Diver's Den at liveaquaria, and if I got one again, that is where I would get it because of their great quarantine process. I have read a few different places that if a BSJF makes it over the 30 day mark you will usually be ok, and as far as I know liveaquaria holds fish for about 30 days before they send them out, and they have a 14 day guarantee too. They may be a bit more expensive from there than from other retailers, but at least you get to see the specific fish, plus the quarantine, plus the two week guarantee. If I see one on diver's den I'll let you know. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

8. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here's another picture of him, where you can see his whole body.

[​IMG]

9. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tip Anna. I'll have to look there more often. There's another fish or two that I wouldn't mind getting from them so it would work out well.

10. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That is a gorgeous fish!

11. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Jawfish are great. The next tank I get is going to be a jawfish tank. I tried several times to keep a yellow headed jawfish alive in my tank but the other fish stressed them out. I think you really need a 5 or 6 inch sandbed for these guys, an open area so they can see all around and a very relaxed and non-aggressive fish tank.

12. BigHack6900

BigHack6900 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    where do you get these? and how much are they

13. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That'll be awesome tibbs - share pictures when you set it up!!

Bighack - I lucked out and found mine locally, but it's the only time I've seen one around here. I think they're usually $100-150 online. You need a deep sand bed, a well covered top (holes smaller than eggcrate), and no aggressive fish (aggressive fish stress them out).

14. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    They've had a blue spotted jawfish at the Iowa Pets store in Des Moines. I don't know if he is still there. I think he was 150. I'm not brave enough for that. You can get yellow headed jawfish for around 20 bucks, but they are a seasonal fish. I think they are mainly available in spring/summer. They have the same behavior as the bluespot, but they aren't as colorful.