1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Build! Blast from the past circa 1998

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ricowind67, Nov 20, 2017.

1. I found a bunch of photos in the bottom of a box from 1998 when I had built my first reef tank. And back then these were taken with one of those disposable cameras that you sent off to get developed. I had a friend digitize these for your viewing.

Some of the highlights of the build were using the Berlin method with 1-400 watt metal halide (20K) and 2-150 watt (6500K) HQI Hamilton lights, a 2-3 inch sand bed and a huge ETSS skimmer were the means of filtration. Alkalinity and supplementation was utilized using a K2r calcium reactor.

I thought perhaps some of you old reefers would enjoy some of the antiques I was utilizing, which were state of the art back in 1998.

And back in those days the modern reef keeper could only reference information which would involve waiting for that 56K modem to fire up to cruise the web with good old Netscape, or you could page through the “reef aquarium volume 1” by Julian Sprung over and over, and we were all patiently awaiting for Volumes to follow.

The livestock was obtained through Walt Smith in Fiji at his collection station. A list which was faxed to you every 2 weeks was how you could place your order over the phone, and No pictures back then to see what you were getting. Then with your fingers crossed you would pick it up at the airport through the air cargo terminals. No live arrival guarantee either folks. But sometimes you would get some nice corals and clams.

I remember the maintenance routine went like this, change vast amount of water, test, test, test, and pray your wife never opens the electricity bill first.

Unfortunately the 125 gallon all glass tank cracked down the middle due to the house settling and the reef was no more.

My how times have changed in this hobby, hope you enjoy the pics

2. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So. much. brown! That's an awesome video, thanks for putting it together! Really cool to see how far the hobby has come. And even with the brown, that was a cool looking system!

3. thanks, Brown was in back then =)

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    That’s awesome, you’re the second reefkeeper today that I’ve learned has been in the hobby since the 90s or earlier.

5. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    I had a tank since 1997. Back then mostly around here it was Sea of Marvels and that was it. I had egg crate under the sand with window screening on top of the egg crate. A single 175 watt metal halide 10k over a 29 gallon tank. Skimmer was a Lee's air driven. Pumps were on a spray bar behind the rock. The best advice then was to fill your tank with as much live rock as you could fit. Pretty much we had fiji and that was it.

As far as corals.. Yellow polyp which seem to have come back, Pipe organ, brown toadstool leather, brown cabbage leather, basic mushrooms and if you found a blue or red one you were in luck.

Salt's around at the time were Instant Ocean, Coralife, Tropic Marin and Albert Thiel actually had his own. He also sent me some vitamin C tablets that he swore by to keep your fish healthy.

6. great memories of learning, but love the evolution that the hobby has taken