1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Black Egg Crate locally?

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by gb387, May 18, 2009.

1. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anyone found black egg crate locally?  I would like to get some but shipping can bring the price up quick. 
    -or-
    Anyone want to go in on some?

2. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    You can spraypaont the white stuff with Krylon fusion. I just made a carbon reactor and sprayed it black with krylon and it works sweet. It is in the sump of my 125.
    [​IMG]

3. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have never seen any locally.  I bought mine from a place out in California but now I see Bulk reef supply carrying some smaller sizes.

4. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I thought about spray paint but I am not sure about submerging it forever and/or how long it will last.

I did see bulk reef had a smaller size and might be my best option.

5. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

My DIY overflow has been painted with Fusion and submerged since the first of March - no problems as of yet!

-Eric

6. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Try Regal Plastics, they have it for around $12 a sheet.

7. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Brandon, Call Midwest Acoustical, they are located off NE 14 and Broadway. Jest tell them you want (1) 2 by 4 sheet of eggcrate. Ask for Heidi or Mark

8. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will give them a try

9. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK, no luck locally.... I have tried everywhere and I don't really need a case and that is what I have to buy. Anyone else looking for black egg crate?

10. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Brandon, did you see that Bulk Reef Supply has that?

11. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jtesdall on 05/28/2009 09:55 AM
    Brandon, did you see that Bulk Reef Supply has that?
    Yes but I was trying to find a better deal.

12. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    how much is in a case i need to put a top on my tank and could use some to make a frag rack and floss pad holder. so i might be able to go in on some.

13. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ok B, I found you a better deal.  It wasn't as expensive as I originally thought when I bought mine.  This was for a 2'X4' sheet.  You can purchase it through eplastics.com  Below was my order when I bought it back in early 2008.
    Item                      Qty          Brief Description                         Options          Rate          Amount
    B/EGG.375X2X4     1             .375"X2'X4' Black Egg Crate                             $12.50      $12.50 
                                                                                                                         Subtotal    $12.50
                                                                                                       Shipping & Handling      $7.95
                                                                                                                                 Tax        0.00 
                                                                                                                               Total    $20.45

14. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By slovan on 05/29/2009 08:24 AM

Ok B, I found you a better deal.  It wasn't as expensive as I originally thought when I bought mine.  This was for a 2'X4' sheet.  You can purchase it through eplastics.com  Below was my order when I bought it back in early 2008.
    Item                      Qty          Brief Description                         Options          Rate          Amount
    B/EGG.375X2X4     1             .375"X2'X4' Black Egg Crate                             $12.50      $12.50 
                                                                                                                         Subtotal    $12.50
                                                                                                       Shipping & Handling      $7.95
                                                                                                                                 Tax        0.00 
                                                                                                                               Total    $20.45

Thats not bad - - I will look into that, really not much more than white locally here just have to pay for shipping.

15. cowdust9

cowdust9 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    not sure if anyone said anything but you can get it from bulk reef supply and there is people going on in a order though them so might be able to get it there and save on shipping cause i want to order some of that to

16. John50

John50 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We wanted black to match our tanks but found silver shiny silver like reflector silver which is perfect for lights at Home Depot in Urbandale. Paid about $20 for a sheet that had a broken edge (didn't matter we have to trim anyway) and it looks really nice!