1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Black back and bottom - Con-Tact paper? Vinyl?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AJ, Jun 8, 2009.

1. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had originally planned to use Krylon Fusion black spray paint to paint the back of my tank, but I've had second thoughts and decided to use something removable instead should I decide to change my mind later.  Does anyone use Con-Tact paper?  What about the vinyl sheets that the sign folks use?  Also, I believe that I'm going bare bottom in the display and would like for it to be black too.  Are any of these materials safe to use inside the tank?  Clearly I want to be sensitive to the possibility of chemical leech, but since the bottom has the wide lip on the trim and the center brace, I would not be able to cover the entire area and things might look a bit funky.
    --AJ

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    AJ, Spray paint scrapes of VERY easily with a razor blade, you could use vinyl but unless your a pro, your gonna get air bubbles. How about some black acrylic or cutting board for the bottom of the tank?

3. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    AJ,

If you want to use Vinyl for the back of the tank, there is a product called "SeaView" that is made specifically for attaching those backgrounds to the back of tanks in a way where they look like they are painted and don't come off. I used it on my tank with a glossy black background and it turned out very good. Just another option to think about if you don't want to paint.

-JB

4. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Black acrylic for the bottom sounds like a good idea...then just silicone it in so I don't have anything get under it and fester.

JB, is this the product that you're referring to? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=18280

My concern about using paint is that I could scratch it during the removal or that I could scratch it while doing maintenance, then have a scratch to look at without an easy way to repair it. Also, paint can get in areas that would not be easily removed (like behind the trim and in the cracks where the glass meets). It seems like contact paper or vinyl would be a little more substantial and less susceptible to scratching. If I use the product JB mentioned, I can use the 24" black gloss backing from the LFS...that stuff is pretty tough and would be cheaper than vinyl and I wouldn't have to piece it together like I would con-tact paper.

Thanks for the ideas guys! I think I have a plan of action now.

--AJ

5. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yes, That is the stuff I'm talking about.

-JB

6. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Kills me that DFS wants $10 to ship 2 oz of product...

7. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    order more stuff :)

8. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My vote is still for paint, then again I have never used SeaView. You can always mask off the trim and stuff if you are worried about getting paint on it. I clean my glass with a razorblade all the time, unless your using a blade that is bent and rusted as all get out I guess it "might" be possible to scratch it.

9. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i personally dont like the black back i have on my tank i might do a different color on my next one

10. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Vinyl is actually really easy to apply. We do it on the race car every year. Just spray a little soap and water on before you apply and then you can move it around. Then just squeegee out the fluid. The bubble will go away over time and wont even be noticeable

11. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, but I was under the impression that it's pretty expensive..unless maybe you have the hookup and can get it really cheap for me... :)
    --AJ

12. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I would call up some vinyl places and see if they have any scrap. Might be able to find a good deal. I talked to a guy that did vinyl and he was going to do something for me and he said it was $27 a roll. That was either 8 or 10 foot roll.

13. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I used to letter semi's, race cars, and signs, I don't think that the sticky side of vinyl would look as good as paint.
    Really though, once you get your rocks in and coralline starts growing it won't matter how you did it.

14. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Waverz on 06/08/2009 05:55 PM
    I used to letter semi's, race cars, and signs, I don't think that the sticky side of vinyl would look as good as paint.
    Really though, once you get your rocks in and coralline starts growing it won't matter how you did it.
    LOL!   How True!

15. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah...but you gotta admit, when you set up a new system, you want it to look pristine...at least for a little while. Maybe I'm trying to make things too exact or perfect, but I do want things to look nice. Thanks again for all the great ideas guys!

--AJ

16. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I've got a piece of glass cut the fits perfectly between the top and bottom trim that I spray painted black for a background.

17. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Waverz on 06/08/2009 05:55 PM
    I painted my tank with Fusion, and while I let my 75 grow over (old Oceanic RR/black abs rear wall), I'm enjoying the look/contrast of keeping my back wall clean for this tank and if that were the case with AJ, then what you're referring to is certainly a consideration cosmetically.
    -Eric