1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Black Aquarium Safe Silicone - The cheapest I found

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AJ, Aug 22, 2009.

1. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Now as soon as I post this, there are probably going to be a lot of other people that will post cheaper prices, but I wanted to post what I had found because it saved me a few dollars. 
    I've been looking for black silicone recently to use on my tank and I've found it very difficult to come by at a reasonable price.  I've read different things that say DAP or GE pure silicone is safe for an aquarium.  I even went so far as to call the manufacturers and they told me that they did not recommend using their products for that purpose.  And even that it was OK, finding it locally in black was not going well.  Just to be safe, I was looking exclusively for All-Glass or Perfecto brands. 
    www.herpsupplies.com had the best price at $6.50 a tube and shipping of about $5.    The next cheapest place was Big Als Online, which was over $17 with shipping, but sold out.  Many places where closer to $9-$11 per tube and around $10 to ship...so if you don't shop around, you can end up spending a lot more than you need to.  Also, with shipping as expensive as it is, it's probably best to buy more than you think you will need so you don't have to place a second order.
    Anyway, I hope this is helpful for someone and that someone else can save some $$ from my search.
    --AJ

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've heard, one of the reasons silicone makers like don't say it's safe for aquariums is because they don't want to be liable for something to happen.

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The reason they gave me was that it was not rated to be submerged for long periods of time and would discolor and break down.

--AJ

4. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You should try it. Not on your main tank, but like a cheap ten gallon set up and see.

5. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By AJ on 08/22/2009 08:58 AM
    The reason they gave me was that it was not rated to be submerged for long periods of time and would discolor and break down.
    --AJ
    The black silicone that Oceanic uses in the biocube does discolor/turn brown and fail...at least where it was attached to ABS.  The silicone in my current All Glass tank (same company) seems to be holding up fine.
    Oh, and Aaron...happy early birthday!
    -Eric

6. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Eric! :)