1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Black Aquarium backing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jtesdall, Sep 6, 2008.

1. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Where can I get black contact paper for the back of my new 240?? Hobby shop?

2. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think that contact paper is what you want. The sticky side is going to be on the glass and not a nice thing to look at.  I painted the back of my tank and I really love it.  It was easy to do and would scrape off with a razor easily down the road if so desired.  Other choices I've seen are window tinting (it peels off but probably a little more expensive) and the black backrounds you can buy at LFS.  I've never had any luck with those not pulling off or sagging in time and looking pretty tacky.  My paint also puts up with me moving my tunze magnets around without messing up my backround.

3. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    If you don't want to paint the back of your tank, I'd suggest getting the normal black aquarium backing available at most LFS's (usually they have an image on one side and a solid color on the other side) and a bottle of "SeaView" which is made specificically for attaching those backings to the back of tanks. I used that on my 125 and I've been really happy with it.

-JB

4. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    OK, I will try that.

5. tlr

tlr Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I second painting it. I have struggled through backgrounds with various tanks and have just given myself over to painting them all now either a dark blue or black.

6. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I used Krylon Fusion spray paint for my 240. I sprayed real light, with about 20 minutes between coats. I used 1.25 cans, probably a little overkill but I am like that.

The back looks awesome. Also it is pretty tough paint, designed for plastics and glass. You can scratch it off with a razor if you have too.

7. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Tank is full now, so no paint for me. I will try purchased black background or something similar.

8. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hey Joel,

This might be the most expensive option but at least it's not permanent.  It goes on super easy with no air pockets.  Salt creep or water doesn't do anything to it once it is in place.  Anyway I thought I'd throw another option out there for you. :)  http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_searc...d&parsed=1