1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help!! Bio sea marine salt

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FishBrain, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Yes that salt & cold water thing is limited to reef salts vs non-reef salts, forgot about that. So IO, no problem. RC or others like that, cold water is the way apparently

2. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    You've gone through 15-20 150 gallon boxes since spring? At 15 boxes that's 2250 gallons. Egads man. Seriously?

3. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Heavy water changes that is not unreasonable. 50 gallons/week and you're probably close to that plus the initial box or better to fill a tank completely.

I was doing 40 gal a week when I initially started my auto water change I would go through a box of salt a month.

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I checked my bag of BSM that has only about 2 cups left in it maybe and it's been sitting there for months and it is still powdery. I've had "sealed" bags of RC turn clumpy and thrown them out. It's not just that the salt is sticking together, there can be a chemical composition change when the salt coagulates like this, so you really shouldn't use it. After you open any bag of salt, it needs to be tightly sealed somehow. I use the chip clip things from Ikea to keep the bag closed, and purge most of the air from it.

BEVARA Sealing clip, set of 30 - IKEA

^^ by the way, best chip clip product ever ever ever.

5. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    On the subject of storage...I use RC in the 200g box which has 4 50g bags. I do 17-18g water changes so I open a bag and use what I need out of it and put the rest in a Rubbermaid canister. Works great!

6. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Was just a number off the top of my head not literal.