1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help!! Bio sea marine salt

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FishBrain, Jan 18, 2017.

1. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    I have had a lot of problems with my tank seance the restart in the spring. Corals just didn't grow fast and color was scratchy. Everything was balanced parameters wise. But corals would slowly fade then burnt tips and stn. I was about to just take the tank down due to the stress it was causing me to watch my corals die. But my wife suggested I switch back to reef crystals first and see what happened. Well after two weeks my color is coming back fast and all tissue is regenerateing. So if your using biosea marine and having problems you may want to consider a switch.

Bill

2. Pufferman777

Pufferman777 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I have switched. I'm now using fritzs. I know they were having a lot of problems keeping things consistent. If u need fritz let me know

3. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I have had problems also. Lost 95% of my sps tank. I can't pin point it to the salt for sure but wouldn't count it out.
    Fritz is basically same as bio sea I have experienced same with it. Not saying that is for sure the problem but just my experience also.
    I had other problems going on at the same time so I would only be guessing at this time to be able to say what exactly cause.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  4. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
  5. mattman319 SoManyTanks

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +93 / 0 / -0
    I lost some big, old sps colonies using aqua craft salt. I switched to Fritz and am having good luck, so far. But these are just my experiences.

6. F.D. Reefer Well-Known ReefKeeper

Fort dodge
    Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -0
    Been using reef crystals for 11+ yrs. no problems here.
    I hate change
    And I'm cheap
    Hope ur sps come back
    I Always liked your picks of ur sticks.

Sent from my iPhone via App

7. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Sorry to hear that Bill - and Jeremy. I hope I don't follow in your footsteps...... After 10+ years of using reef crystals, I finally decided to give something else a try and I ordered HW-Marine Mix from BRS during the Black Friday sale. Just started using it a couple weeks ago. I hope I don't end up regretting it. I have a box of Reef crystals left - thought I'd sell it, but maybe I just better keep it around for awhile.

8. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    I'm sticking with good old reef crystals from now on!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    We switched to Fritz about 3 months ago and like it. Seem to have better PE and color but color may be due to adding T5's to supplement LED. At any rate, happy with it so far.

10. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    Since this seems to be the salt conversation. Anyone have experience with red sea coral pro?

11. stew Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Does salt have a shelf life? Found a couple of old bags of salt - one RC and the other is Coral Life. Both had clumped up in their packaging and wouldn't fully dissolve despite letting it mix for several hours.

• Like Like x 1
    • Uh oh! Not good! Uh oh! Not good! x 1
    • List
  12. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    Taste it. If it's salty you're good.

13. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    Also, I tried switching to Biosea Marinemix. I went very slowly. By the math I had fully rotated in the Biosea after about 6 months, a gradual switch from RC. My SPS hated it, my LPS seemed unaffected. I think it's a good salt if youre going to do something like Triton Method or zeovit perhaps and I like how it mixes. It's kind of like grass fed beef to me. Looks good but it's missing something.

14. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    After trying a bunch of fancy salts over the years I settled on the standard red sea salt. The pro version contains elevated ca/alk/mg. If you're dosing to keep parameters in line with nsw then you're better off with the standard red sea. If you do water changes to keep parameters in line then you'll want the red sea pro.

15. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    I've heard nothing but good things about Biosea salt. I have considered switching to it myself when I'm out of RSCP.

Since you said you did a "tank restart", was this salt left over from whenever it was you had used it before? Like Stew suggested, salt doesn't necessarily keep well. How did you keep it and was it clumpy? If not, there's husbandry, how was yours? I don't mean to imply anything, so don't take it that way but you didn't say so I don't know.

From personal experience, someone gave me a bucket of IO once that was leftover from when they got out. Like a few years old. It was a solid mass in the bucket and had to be broken up. You could tell humidity had gotten into it. That salt may as well have been cow crap for all it was worth.

16. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    I also use it and do not dose anything. Despite the elevated parameters of the salt, my tank maintains a more modest alk of 7-8. It mixes clear faster than IO does and doesn't leave as much residue in my Brute. It will if I leave it longer than a day. It's meant to mix and use.

17. stew Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Thought about that but was concerned about what was not dissolving. Not an expert on salt mix ingredients and my first thought was calcium. That I can test but if it's something else...

18. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I've only done a few PWCs with Aquacraft so I can't say that I've seen any issues either way

One thing to consider is that you don't need to mix it more than about an hour or two or else you can get precip

Another thing I just learned this week is that you should actually mix the salt in cold water (room temp, i.e. not pre-heated, so even fresh RODI at 60 F) as calcium is more soluble at lower temps. Heating the water can actually cause problems. Heat it to temp after it has dissolved. That was big news to me.

Also mixing up the salt in the bag before adding it is always a must. All salt settles so unless you use a full bag, you gotta mix it up first.

19. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    @ShaneP@ShaneP no the salt wasn't old. I have used 15-20 boxes or so seance the tank restart.
    That being said they where the big boxes with one large bag of salt. So there where some clumping issues on occasion.

@Bud@Bud I never mixed up the salt itself before use. So this could definitely have been a factor. With that being said all the normal parameters where good the whole time.

20. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    The water being cold is a huge issue with brands that have calcium and alk significantly above NSW range. Less of a big deal with something like tmp with low alk, but always good practice. Also a general chemistry rule is to never pour water on the salt, always add salt to the water. (Well chem is solvent and solute but same thing here).

It's hard to beat the overall quality control of reef crystals and instant ocean.