1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Bio Cube setup ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Troy, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am setting up a 29biocube.   I am hoping to move some zoas and acons to it as soon as the para are good.   I plan on using cycled live rock and water from my 180.  But it will have all new filtration media.    I was wondering how much of a cycle will the bio cube go throw?   
    Also this is the smallest tank I have ever set up.  So also looking for info on what kind of filtration setup people are using.   My plan, is to have a MJ 1200 for a return. One small powerhead, some kind of filter pad in the first chamber, live rock in the second, and a sunpod 150 hqi. 
    Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Troy

2. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have had good luck with the stock lighting. I use rock rubble with gfo and charcoal in media bags. The biocube skimmer works ok at best but you can trim the lid and fit in a nice small HOB skimmer. They are a lot of fun and I will look forward to seeing some pics. Shaun

3. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't have a lid for my cube, and I want to keep SPS, just a few, in here so stock PC's won't work. I will post pics as soon as I start to put it together.

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ATO is a must for these little tanks. Do yourself a favor and get one ASAP. Evaporation w/o a lid with a MH hanging a few inches from the water surface in the middle of the dry winter is gonna be crazy. Another tip, WATCH YOUR FEEDING! I know you are used to feeding handfuls of food, that is gonna be a hard habit to break. A little goes along way in these little tanks. Another thing to consider is the sensitivity of a little tank. You need to make sure your salinity is spot on when doing water changes. I know when i had my large system running I got a little sloppy at times but being i had such a large volume of water it didn't matter much.

I could probably rattle off tips all day long, just take things slow and keep things clean and you will be fine.

5. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks jeremy for the info. I was hoping you would post, knowing you went from a large tank to a small one. You have the experence that I was looking to hear from. Ya the feeding thing might be difficult, I like the grab a hand full and throw it in the tank thing. I will need to tone it down alot for this new setup.

I am looking at a JBJ ATO, I know there is others out there but, don't have much experence with any of them, since my ATO now is just grave fed from RO unit.

So things I need to get this running is
    ATO.... very important
    new test kits

6. smw0522

smw0522 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just curious. I have a 29 gallon oceanic biocube and am trying to figure out which of the 3 chambers in the back to put my gfo/carbon media bags in to make sure I'm getting the flow through them I need. Which one do you put yours in???

7. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I plan on having a small evtra pump to put a phasban reactor with GFO and carbon.

8. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I have a Sapphire Aquatics nano reactor in my 1st chamber ATM, ideally it should go in the 3rd chamber but I already have 2 maxi jet 1200's and a ATO float in it. Its a little cramped.

9. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I put the media in the center chamber of the back.

10. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    After thinking about some more I actually managed to fit the nano reactor in my 3rd chamber along with the return pump, chiller feed pump, and ATO float switches. Needless to say, the 3rd chamber is now officially full.