1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Best way to clean an aquarium....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gb387, Apr 29, 2009.

1. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As some of you know I am getting a used 120RR and would like to get it cleaned up prior to use what is the best way to remove old Coralline especially off the plastic overflows?  I will also be cleaning my 90 wave front in hopes of selling it.

2. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Acetic Acid

3. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Vineger.

4. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Vinegar is usually 5% acetic acid. I'm sure that it probably works faster if you have a higher concentration of acetic acid, but I used 1 gallon of veingar in about 80 gallons of water for a 90 gallon tank and it worked just fine. Some of the coralline was really thick and took quite a while to remove, but in the end, it came out really clean. Maybe two gallons of regular white vinegar would be enough for you. Also, figure out some way of getting your tubes in the overflow plugged so that you can fill the overflow with water too. That will make getting the overflow cleaner, easier and you can fill the tank more.

--AJ

5. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So its been 24 hours soaking in 120 gallons of water to 2 gallons of Vinegar and not much has happened.... wait longer is there something with a stronger concentration of Acetic Acid?

6. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Brandon, I don't think the point is to wait for it to eat the coralline away. You would be waiting a long time. Rather to soften it up so it will scrape off easily. Start scraping and see how easily it comes off. A razor paint scraper work wonderful.

7. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jtesdall on 05/02/2009 08:35 PM
    Brandon, I don't think the point is to wait for it to eat the coralline away. You would be waiting a long time. Rather to soften it up so it will scrape off easily. Start scraping and see how easily it comes off. A razor paint scraper work wonderful.
    OK, will give it a try...  Thanks!

8. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sure enough - it wipes off with NO effort, thats a life saver!!

9. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    All cleaned up! Worked very well, then went a head and re-sealed the sides since it was clean and dry. Looks as close to new as possible!!

10. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Posted By gb387 on 05/03/2009 06:37 PM
    All cleaned up! Worked very well, then went a head and re-sealed the sides since it was clean and dry. Looks as close to new as possible!!
    What do you mean by re-sealed the sides? If you mean you took out the seal up the sides and not around the base and replaced it you are in for a leak! If you re-seal a tank you have to take out all the old seal and replace with new.

11. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, take out old and replace with ALL new... with instructions on the Internet, the proper caulking and some rubbing alcohol (never used this but this is slick tip!).

12. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Cool you should be good to go then.

13. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah... took some time but it was worth it. I did noticed all the glass on the aquarium had a beveled edge and adds a nice look... do many aquariums have this? My 90 doesn't??!?

14. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Beveled how? Do you mean ground corners?

15. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Bill on 05/03/2009 07:19 PM
    Beveled how? Do you mean ground corners?
    I guess....  Maybe it because the glass is thicker making the 'ground' edges easier to see!?!?  Every piece of glass, all the way around on the edges both sides have a slight 45 degree angle cut into them.