1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

best salt???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by snowman82, Jan 7, 2009.

1. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i was wondering about your guys opinions on salt? what do you prefer to use any why?  since i'm setting up a new tank thought i should pay attention to the salt a little.  I had just used the instant ocean stuff cause it was cheap.

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What species of coral do you want in your tank?  Not all salts are the same of course, but IO is good if you have a fish only system or have corals that won't take much Ca, Mag, and Alk.
    I use reef crystals just because Craig/Jeremy had an extra bucket and just in case I started to get some corals that needed the extra boost.

3. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    eventually i would like some hard coral but may be a while cause i wont have the money for the lighting for a while. but i might as well start out with good stuff so i wont have to worry bout it later

4. Rustin

Rustin Inactive User GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use reef crystals and have always had good results with it.

5. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2015
  6. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jbrunken on 01/07/2009 07:55 PM
    Here's a thread that lists a lot of info about the salt mixes:
    -JB
    The link does not work says it is not found.  It is probably the thread I've been searching for too.[​IMG] 
    I've been using reef crystals for mostly all my time in the hobby.  Main reason for RC was that it was under $35 a bucket and I really had no issues with it.  Since there price increase I'm switching to Fauna marin.  Hopefully I'll have good luck with FM too.  I really do not think it matters to much which salt is used as long as it is good quality salt.  From now on though I will be testing my newly made up salt water before water changes and adjusting as I see fit.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2015
  7. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The best salt on the market IMO, is H2O. Its made by Deltec but its expensive!!!!! I get mine from Marine Depot.
    If you have a small tank it is good stuff, But Im getting my 120 up and running so I will mix it 50/50 with RC.

8. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Fixed the link...

Sorry some extra characters got added onto the end.

9. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Why?  Are their chemistries compatible?  I'd be careful about mixing things together that you don't know anything about. 
    I use Instant Ocean and then supplement extra mag, alk, and calcium after water changes.  I'll probably switch to IO reef Crystals on my next bucket.

10. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By h2so4hurts on 01/08/2009 06:58 AM

Posted By B-Rad on 01/08/2009 05:07 AM
    The best salt on the market IMO, is H2O. Its made by Deltec but its expensive!!!!! I get mine from Marine Depot.
    If you have a small tank it is good stuff, But Im getting my 120 up and running so I will mix it 50/50 with RC.
    Why?  Are their chemistries compatible?  I'd be careful about mixing things together that you don't know anything about. 
    I use Instant Ocean and then supplement extra mag, alk, and calcium after water changes.  I'll probably switch to IO reef Crystals on my next bucket.
    I have never heard of issues with mixing different brands of salt together.  However, I would be careful about dosing anything in your tank you cannot test for.
    Most salt mixes work perfectly fine.  It just comes down to what your tank needs and which of the big 3 that you want to adjust to get there.