1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Best protein skimmer

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by Bear, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Bear

Bear Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have been looking for an efficient protein skimmer.  I currently have a Red Sea Berlin Turbo X2, which hangs over my 30 gal sump.  It has been erractic at best, going through a repeller, and I am now wating for a new pump as it went out a week ago.  What type of skimmer would you recommend.  Also, I don't have a lot of head room underneath.
    Bear

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Depending on how big your tank is and how much room you have i would look in Octopus skimmers, they aren't the best skimmers on the market but are very affordable and lots of us run them. I have been using my NW-200 for about a year now and i dont have any complaints, its a great skimmer for the money.

3. Nykademus

Nykademus Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Waverz on 04/10/2008 10:54 AM
    Depending on how big your tank is and how much room you have i would look in Octopus skimmers, they aren't the best skimmers on the market but are very affordable and lots of us run them. I have been using my NW-200 for about a year now and i dont have any complaints, its a great skimmer for the money.

X2
    A couple of mods and they run very well. For the price they are hard to beat. ASM skimmers are about the same design too, so they would be an option.

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ditto. Octopus (or ASM) skimmers are hard to beat for the price/performance ratio.

-JB

5. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    NW200 here too... great for the money.

6. Steph & Nick

Steph & Nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We have an ASM G2 and love it!