1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Best place to buy live rock locally?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mnvikes, Sep 5, 2009.

1. mnvikes

mnvikes Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ive been thinking about starting a reef aquarium in the next month or two, probably 15-30 gallons. i live in des moines, i stopped by adams aquatics and their live rock was $8/lb. id prefer to buy locally if i can but it is probably going to end up being more expensive than many online places that seem highly recommended like premium aquatics and sealife even with overnight shipping. is it good quality, and is there anywhere else in des moines or maybe CR/IA city area that is cheaper and has good quality stuff?

2. dzabler

dzabler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    there are a couple different places to get live rock in the cr/ic area...petland is one in ic and their price is about the same but the more you buy the cheaper it gets per pound...i havent been to any fish stores in cr but have read and heard about a couple good ones

3. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I seeded my 10g tank with coraline by buying like 3 pounds of adam's aquatic's most purple looking live rock. It working out well and I didn't have any hitchikers, but it was expensive. The nice thing about it is you know what shapes you are getting before you buy it. The not so nice thing is the price. I remember in California I was able to get the stuff from my favorite LFS for about three bucks a pound.

If you are not in a hurry I would also wait and see if anyone on the forums is selling, maybe even post a WTB thread. I have seen people go as low as 2.50 a pound and the average I would say is about 5.00

4. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bela is right about seeing who is selling on the foram. There are few good places to get live rock from locally, and I don't think CR or IC has any of them places. I would post to see if anyones has got any, and if nothing else order some from online. It will save you some money, LR in the pet stores are a little over priced.

5. xmasia

xmasia Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

there is also iowa pets theres is a little cheaper. you could also go with dry rock http://www.marcorocks.com/ there is also another place to get dry rock but i cant rember the name. you wouldnt have to worry about next day shipping and just buy a piece or to of live rock local.

6. gabzak

gabzak Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Be patient and look on GIRS to buy LR, it may take a week but someone will bite and generally will sell great coraline covered rock for $3 a pound. I have been down this route twice now and been very happy with what I have received

7. Big John

Big John Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Got to agree with Gabzak---Finding it on GIRS is the best bet---You can bet buying it from a member the rock will be clean and ready to go.

8. mnvikes

mnvikes Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks. also, what size of rocks are best to scape with? should i get like baseball sized rocks or would epoxying a bunch of rubble together to make a lot of crevices be a good idea?

9. Big John

Big John Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I prefer 4" to 7" rock to work with---seems easer to make nicer hiding spots for your wet pets, however I know you'll see that one "ODD BALL" sized rock you'll want!
    Just have fun with it and maybe you'll get some more ideas from other members.
    I've seen some of Troy's work and I must say it's COOL!

10. dzabler

dzabler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Whatever size you want works...usually you will see a couple of really big pieces with smaller one fit in there too...I have also seen where people drill holes through the rocks and pit fiberglass rods the get rocks to stay put and you can get some really cool aqua scaping going on...also don't forget you can make your own rocks if you want...I do believe it is called agrocreate...look online for directions