1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

best place to buy a tank?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Guest, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi everyone!!! I live in Cedar Rapids and am in the beginning stages of buying a saltwater tank.  Probably a 40 galloon or so.  I was wondering where a good place would be to look for a tank/stand in the area.  I'm sure I'll be coming here for lots of help along the way, thanks!![​IMG] 

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Just keep an eye on the boards, there is usually a bunch of them coming up for sale

Welcome

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the site!  There are plenty of us here in the CR area.  If you have a question, ask away!
    --AJ

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    craigslist is also a great place to monitor.

5. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    This has tanks for sale, they had a real nice one but i see it sold. 
    www.tanksforsale.com
    /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif
    There's lots of good deals on tanks on this site, you just gotta keep your eyes peeled.
    Welcome to GIRS

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks.  Good one!  [​IMG]  I better jump on that quick, before they all sell off!!!!!!!!

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone for the good advice.  I'm leaning towards trying the whole Craigslist/ebay/BST boards on here.  I currently have a bid in on Ebay for a 55 galloon tank, that looks in excellent condition so keep your fingers crossed for me.

8. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0

Try fishack in manchester or pets playhouse and Bo Bo's in CR

9. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    What size are you looking for and do you need a stand with it?

I just picked up a bird cage for my wife yesterday (turning into wild kingdom!) and the seller mentioned that they used to breed angels and had a basement full of empty tanks - a 55g was mentioned.

-Eric

10. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In the QC area craigslist there's a 72 gallon for sale for 250. That's a great deal for the tank and stand.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey!  Thanks for the replies.  Thought I should let you know I did buy a 29 gallon Biocube a couple weeks ago so am no longer looking.  It's my first go at this so thought I should start a little smaller:)  Wish me luck!!!!!