1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Berghia nudibranchs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JB, Jan 2, 2008.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My efforts to erradicate aptasia from my tank seem to be doing more harm than good.   Every time I've tried to nuke them with kalk, they come back a few days later in greater numbers.   They are all over my tank in spots that I can't reach with kalk anyway, so I need a different solution.
    I'm thinking about trying some Berghia Nudibranchs which I guess feed exclusively on Aptasia and can completely eradicate them from a tank in short order.
    More info here:
    http://www.saltyunderground.com/

Anyone ever tried these?   I know that some peppermint shrimp eat aptasia too, but I've never had any luck with them.
    -JB

2. Benji

Benji Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    they do a solid job of redicating but, then they starve...quickly.   i  know  some  clubs/shoppes  have  ''community bergs'' that just make the rounds ''at cost.''
    on nano-reef i picked up 2 fer 15 then they made their way to peoria...they are effective and feed solely on apts but...catch 22.
    edit to add...you could always start a prop. tank for apts to prolong the berg's life...

3. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    dont know bout the nudys but peppermint shrimp wont eat big ones but i have seen them devore small to medium size ones

4. Benji

Benji Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    peps can be hit or miss but, imo bergs are very close to a sure thing when it comes to apts of all sizes.

5. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What about a copperband? I believe I've heard of reefers using them to control aptasia...

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I don't have any faith in Peppermints and I really don't want to add a fish that I don't want, so it sounds like the Berghia might be the way to go.

I was reading up on propagating them, and it doesn't sound that hard to do.

Nick: Do you guys have a source for these at Pet's Playhouse?

If not, I'm thinking about starting a group order to save shipping. It sounds like they run around $15 or so each (before shipping).

Anyone interested in jumping in on this? I'll probably wait a month or two until the cold weather situation eases up.

-JB

7. jvonthun

jvonthun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If you decide to do a group buy I would definitly be interested.  I got more aptasia than I can count right now.

Thanks
    Jeremy

8. mr.jeff.wagner

mr.jeff.wagner Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would also be interested in getting some berghias.  I am overrun right now and the peppermints arent working.

9. nick

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ill check later today but it would pry be a week though

10. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My herd of Peppermints went through close too 1000 Aiptasia in a month.  I have heard that the Berghia Nudibranchs do very well once established.  Which can be up to a few months.  Then they strip all the aiptasia away and die from starvation.[​IMG]  It be nice to get them circulated around to clean peoples tanks.

11. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There was a similar thread on the BNARC site (where I'm also a member) and one of the reefers posted that they had really good luck on the big Aptasia's with straight lemon juice.  I've never tried it but I've never had more than a few at a time and shooting them with Kalk gets them for me. 

12. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I think berghia are best bet on aptasia. Over the past few years, I've tried about everything with little long term success.  If you don't have something like wrasses, mandarins or shrimp in your tank, maybe you'll have better luck keeping the berghia alive than I did.
    Chris

13. Nykademus

Nykademus Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I saw some of these on Ebay for next to nothing.. I think the total w/shipping was less than 10 dollars.

14. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    really? I think the going rate for berghia are 6 to 10 dollars each depending on when/where you order from. I'll have to take a look.

15. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Didn't see any good deals on ebay. I bought mine from http://saltyunderground.com/ . Got all of mine alive, packed very well and even came with a little pipette to transfer them into the tank.

16. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    If you order, let me know. i would like to give it another try. I no longer have shrimp and crabs, and the wrasses and mandarins sleep at night so they should be safe. In fact I think I might put them in my overflow to start off with.

Chris

17. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Nick,
    Did you ever find out if you can get these?
    If not, I'm probably going to have to order some.  My aptasia is completely out of control at this point.
    -JB

18. nick

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    most of my suppliers dont carry them i am still looking so i would go ahead and order them personally

19. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Ok, since Nick hasn't had any luck getting them (thanks for trying Nick), I think I'm going to go ahead and organize a group order this week.   So... If you need any Berghia's (AKA aptasia eating machines), read below:

GROUP ORDER INFO

Here's where I will be ordering from:
    Salty Underground
    http://www.saltyunderground.com/
    I will be ordering 6 adults myself, so if we can get 6 more total, we will quailify for a small shipping upgrade and free box charge.  
    On top of that, they have a shipping sale going on right now, so we should end up getting a pretty good deal.
    Shipping will be split up based on order total, so if you're part of the order makes 50% you will pay %50 of the shipping.   The total shipping charge for the whole order should be around $36, maybe a bit more if we don't order at least 12 total.
    Anyone who wants to order, please PM me on this site no later than tuesday.   I would prefer that everyone PayPal me for their part of the order no later than wednesday night.   I may be willing to float one or two people until they pick up their part of the order, but don't count on it.   Plan on Paying in advance.
    Last but not least, I will be placing this order on Thursday morning (Jan 17th.).    I will place the order with FedEx priority overnight so it will arive at my office friday morning.    We have a tank at my office, so I can float the stuff in the sump while I'm at work.
    If you plan to be a part of this order, please plan on picking your stuff up either Friday night (I live in Marion) or Saturday afternoon during the GIRS Kickoff meeting.
    For detailed information on Berghia's  read Calfo's article here:
    http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/ac/feature/index.php
    Edit:  I think I'll start a new thread for this so the order info doesn't get lost...