1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Beginner Corals

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi - I am fairly new to marine fish keeping (20+ years off and on with freshwater, and a couple early attempts at saltwater).  I am curious about what you all would recommend as good beginner corals to try - if anything does particularly well in QC water and with what I currently have in the tank?  Any other considerations I may need would be appreciated.  As for the tank, it is a 46 gallon with a flourescent light, skimmer, powerfilter, powerhead for circulation, 45-50lbs live rock, fish: 2 false percula clown, 2 bangaii cardninals, mandarin dragonet (eats frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms) and a firefish goby.  The tank also has around 45 blue legged hermit crabs, a coral banded shrimp, several turbo snails, astrea snails, and narcissus snails. 
    Thank you for any information you can proivide. 
    BC

2. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, it shouldn't matter what type of water is in your local area, as you should already be using RODI water in your tank. Iowa has terribly high phosphate in the water, in general, and I certainly wouldn't want to add that to my tank, not to mention whatever else (chlorine in city water)!
    Depending on the wattage of your bulbs will depend on what types of coral you can keep. You just have them listed as "fluorescent". As in the ones that came with the tank? Are they power compacts? T5's? Any actinic? For high light coral like sps, some lps and some softies, metal halides are needed a general rule is 5-6 watts per gallon, but it will also depend on things like whether they're 14k, 20k etc. For zoanthids, softies such as mushrooms etc, florescents will be ok, but they will need to be something like a power compact or T5. Sps coral will also need much more flow than the one (?) powerhead you have....... softies will not.

3. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Please provide us with more details, especially lighting. If it is a standard flourecent light fixture, nothing will do well under that low of light.

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes, please more details and we will be glad to help. Also, how long have you had your mandarin? It is EXTREMELY rare for them to eat anything but pods. I am very happy for you if he is eating frozen food, but this will shock many but we have heard of it.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is standard flourescent lighting, so I am sticking with my live rock/fish only set up. I have had the mandarin for a month - I watched him eat frozen food in the store prior to purchasing him and have made sure he has eaten every day since.

6. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Mushrooms would be my first recommendation. I would recommend colorful ricordea. Blue, pink, green etc. I find it impossible to kill mushrooms. Believe me, I've tried...