1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Build! Been a long time but diving back in. 180 gal build

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by got2lb, Jan 28, 2017.

1. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Well finally put a fish order in, and it was almost a complete fail. Shipment was supposed to be delivered yesterday, was delayed in Kentucky and got here about an hr ago. 1 fish was DOA and the other 2 look very rough. Hoping the other 2 pull through!

2. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    That’s a bummer. Where did you order from? What fish?

3. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Liveaquaria, Male Lyretail Anthia and a Powder Brown Tang for my 180 and ordered a Green Clown Goby for my sons tank. The Powder Brown didn't make it. The water was freezing cold when I opened up the boxes.

4. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    That's no good. Part of the risks that come with ordering this time of year. A weather delay for a day in this kind of cold is A likely death sentence for livestock. Those heat packs are only going to last so long.
    I think fish do better with too cold as opposed to too hot, but they can still only handle so much swing and stress.

5. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Well the other 2 fish didn't make it through the weekend. :( Luckily Liveaquaria is really good to deal with. I guess we'll be ordering some more when the weather is going to warm up at least into the 30's

6. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Just an FYI and something maybe to watch if you are looking at weather windows for shipping. The regular live aquaria livestock comes out of a wholesaler in CA. The divers den items come out of their facility in WI. The divers den stuff goes through more of a monitoring and quarantine process than the general stuff. Neat facility up there if you ever get a chance to go on one of their open house tours.
    Either way, as you said, live aquaria is easy to work with and does guarantee the livestock.
    Another option is go for a road trip and hit some Iowa stores. Then you don't have to deal with shipping and can see the specimen before you buy.

7. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately for me I live in BFE and am over 2 hrs from anyone that sells any type of saltwater anything. And my kids keep me very busy running all over the country so it's not so easy for me to road trip around the state to buy fish.