1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Be Advised

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FishBrain, Feb 7, 2016.

1. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    [​IMG]
    Please be advised if you bought or traded any frags with me recently you may have red bugs. Yep that's right spotted them crawling on my icefire the other night. Could only see a couple but after treating the tank with interceptor there where quite a few on most acros. Two more treatments and they will be gone. But like I said if you got frags from me and didn't dip and qt you are at risk!

• Uh oh! Not good! Uh oh! Not good! x 1
    • List
  2. Jen/Reefin Experienced Reef Keeper

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +60 / 1 / -0
    Thank you for being up front with everyone. Sorry for your problem. Looks like your in the right direction.

3. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Kill those little bastards!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    I think the first treatment killed most if not all but will do the next two to make absolutely sure. @jeremy@jeremy I believe this is why the fox flame never colored up yet.

5. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Yup. I bet you are correct. They attack the smooth skin acros. But red bugs are easy to kill. Just a pain in the butt.

6. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Lol the lady at the vet front desk though I was a nut when I explained the situation to her. Luckily the vet herself had herd of it and sold me the interceptor no problem.

7. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Lol. I tried the same thing about 3 years ago. They really did think I was crazy. So I had to get it a different way.

8. F.D. Reefer Well-Known ReefKeeper

Fort dodge
    Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -0
    Joes pet meds.com is were I got mine.
    Came outa Canada & no ? Asked
    Works great but kiss ur pods/and most inverts goodby.
    Some how those lil starfish made it threw 2 treatments tho

9. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Yeah I have a 18x18 bale of cheato in my sump and the first treatment nuked a million or so pods. Oh well they will come back. So far my shrimp and emerald crabs are fine but lost a few blue legs.

10. gburkart

gburkart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    will an eel and a puffer or anenomes make it through the treatment?

11. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Yep they will be fine. Only kills shrimp, crabs, and pods. And sometimes the crabs and shrimp survive to. It won't kill all the pods just some.

12. gburkart

gburkart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    where can i get the meds and dosage instructions?

13. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    You can get Interceptor from a vet. But that can get complicated because you need a prescription and the medication is made for dogs. Most vets look at you like your crazy when you tell them why you want it. There is a few websites, one is mentioned in an earlier post, that are out of US that don't require a script.
    I always get the large dog pill. 1 pill good for 380 gallons of water. There is no set amount. For an estimated 150 gallons I had at the time. I dissolved half a pill in a gallon or so of salt water. Then dumped in tank. I did this at night. I also pulled all crabs snails and shrimp I could catch before dosing. Then I shut down carbon reactor and skimmer until next day.
    Then I did 3 10% water changes first couple days.
    The bugs that were left after first treatment were not moving and I blew them off with a turkey baster. Do 1 dose every 7 days. 3 doses and you will be good. This will kill most if not all your shrimp, crabs, pods. So keep up with water changes and run carbon next day after dosing, remember to remove carbon before dosing each time.
    Any more questions let me know. You can also search on Reef Central or Reef2Reef. Just search Red Bugs or Interceptor.
    I used the Interceptor Spectrum. Large Dog Chewies. It has 23 grams of the active ingredient.

14. F.D. Reefer Well-Known ReefKeeper

Fort dodge
    Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -0
    Skimmer may go crazy so I turn pinwheel pump off and only let recirculating pump run while treating.

15. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    I think @FishBrain@FishBrain should give out free acro frags to everyone so we can all learn from this experience. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  16. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Well pretty sure the bugs are all dead now lol but if I ever get them again I'll be sure to send a few frags your way! ;)

17. Borky00 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Lisbon
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    do they primarily like SPSs? All the pics I see of them are on SPS. I only have 1 so it may be tough to see if I have them.

18. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    That's what they attack is Sps. Mainly smooth skin acropora. Like tri color, purple bonsai, purple Nana, Hawkins, deep waters like red dragon, pac man, stuff like that.
    --- Auto-Merged, Feb 8, 2016, Original Post: Feb 8, 2016 ---
    Usually see them on the base or under side of branches.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Update: they have been found in four more local tanks. Moral of the story is that we all need to take dipping and qt a little more seriously!

Bill

• Uh oh! Not good! Uh oh! Not good! x 1
    • List