1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Bangaii

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by coral_bandit, Apr 10, 2009.

1. coral_bandit

coral_bandit Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Today I got a male and female bangaii. The one keeps everything alive away from the bigger one and it attacks its own reflection. The Female could care less about the reflection. The Bangaii's hang around Caboose, my Short Spine Sea Urchin. I also got a sebae anemone dirt cheap. After how long of being acclimated do they lay eggs, mouthbrood, and any tips on raising babies ?

2. rvarner

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    http://www.reefhobbyistmagazine.com/archives/vol_2/issue8/pages/issue_8-6.htm Check out this issue of reef hobbyist for an article on breeding bangaii.

3. Bzishka

Bzishka Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i can tell you that they are defiantly a pair if the male is attacking the reflection, what size of bengai's are these, are they less then 1 inch still?

if they are under, i believe six months old, then they won't breed. but the bengai's don't attack other bengai's until after a pair is made, never add any other bengai's to this tank, cuz your male will kill them, or try really hard to kill them.

they are mouth brooders, the male will carry the little red eggs in his mouth until they hatch, after they hatch he will eat them unless he is fed a healthy diet, i would seperate the babies from the parents as soon as they come out of the males mouth.

i will be happy to be the first purchaser of one or two of the babies after they are rdy, keep me posted

4. coral_bandit

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    that's what got me into starting to breed bangaii's and I've scavenged through the mofib.org breeder's challenge.

5. coral_bandit

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The bangaii's are 3 inches and the male is aboout 2 1/2, the like to chill with the pajama cardinals, or Caboose(my short spine sea urchin) I am gonna get to naming the cards, Grif-Male female-Sheila
    They chill together and won't go over 2 feet apart. They don't fight like the two male pajama's I have, the jam's get ticked if the other is in his turf. But they like the new bangaii's. I will post pictures of Grif and Sheila(RvB character's names) they hopefully will spawn within a few weeks. I got the dominant female that was at Teske's and Kate picked out a little guy that happened to be a male. He was a player because he was in the Female tank. There was a shipment of Bangaii's and 70% were females. Can't wait for the babies, much easier than Clarkii Clowns.
    Will hopefully get to trade/sell off babies.
    PM me for how many babies you want, I'll write them down.

6. coral_bandit

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

they swim together like this too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2021
  7. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    So there not a for sure pair then? How long will it take them to pair up and mate? I've read clowns can take years are bangaiis like that? I'm really interested in your progress I've always liked bangaiis

8. coral_bandit

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am positive I have a pair

Grif
    -protects Sheila
    -used to fight the male pajama cardinals if they got to close to his girl
    -small stub at the tip of his front dorsal fin.
    -attacks his reflection ferociously
    -struck at my finger when outside of glass

Sheila
    -Was the Dominant female at Teske's
    -could care less about reflection
    They
    -Don't stay apart for long
    -group up with the other cardinals to sleep
    -did that crazy mating dance thing or something just like it.
    -like the corners of my tank and LOVE Caboose
    -only want Brine Shrimp
    -hate flake food

9. Big Country

Big Country Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This will be an interesting thread to follow - I have bought several pairs locally, but so far haven't had luck getting a male and female together. I do have 2 males (seperate tanks) that can't stand each other (had quite a bit of trouble getting the cardinals through quaranteen - wild caught cardinals don't do well for me, so I am done buying them...).   The two males I have now got a long for several months, stayed near each other all the time, but now can't even see each other without the larger one becoming extremely aggressive towards the smaller (keeping him well away from his territory).
    Since then, I bought a small school from Sea of Marvels (tank raised in the shop) and they have been much hardier...I think they were from his second batch of fry and are around half grown. If you get a chance, you might want to stop by and see his breeders in North Liberty- they are much larger than anything I have seen for sale in the Quad Cities (from what I've read the younger fish are darn near impossible to sex). I'm assuming sometime in the next 6 months I may have at least one pair out of the group (that'll put the tank raised bangaiis around a year old)...

10. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I guess I just got confused, I thought you said they came from two different tanks. Wasn't sure how two fish from two different tanks could be a confirmed pair in less than a month. Thats where my questioning came from. I've been looking for another breeding pair just didn't know if you had a secret up your sleeve

11. Big Country

Big Country Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How are the bangaiis doing? Stopped by Teskes today...they only had a couple left in one tank.

12. coral_bandit

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ha, I was going to go to teske's tonight, but went fishing instead. I'll go tomorrow if the paintball tourney is cancelled. Might get some coral. They had 30 or so banggai's in the tank when I was there the day after shipment. All in one med tank. Banggai's are doing great. I am feeding the male as much as he can eat so he won't eat the fry and so he could hold them w/o being hungry. And Big Country, Port Byron is where I'm going for Paintballing.