1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Bag filters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by B-Rad, Sep 17, 2008.

1. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm setting up my sump for my 120 and I have a few questions.
    Is anyone using bag filters?
    Do you like them?
    What micron is everyone using?
    Any info on this would be great, Thanks!!!

2. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use 25 cent nylons from Walmart to fill with carbon and hang in my sump, if that's what you mean. As far as liking them they do the job, but a fluidized canister filter would obviously be much more effective.

3. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use the filter bags under my return. I use the 200 micron felt ones to just stop large particulates from collecting in my sump and keep micro bubbles in check.

eins

4. Madjabjoe

Madjabjoe Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use a 100 micron filter sock sold by marine depot 24/7. Keeps micro bubbles and larger particals in check. I run them through a rinse cycle in the washing machine and they usually hold up for about 8 washes before they need to be replaced.

5. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    100 micron are good also...I just found that the 200 goes a few days longer before plugging up and still do what I need them to do.

I wash mine in the washing machine with bleach only. I have probably 12 to 15 washes on my current set of 4 bags that I rotate through.

eins

6. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

how often do they need washed?

I have a 5MD-SC Little Giant for my main pump, ( I think its rated at 18gpm at 26' of head) Do you think 2 4x8 200 micron socks would be OK? One for each over flow.

again thanks for the input!!

7. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would get a couple extra sets. Mine always plug up after a week or so.

8. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By B-Rad on 09/17/2008 05:07 PM

how often do they need washed?

I have a 5MD-SC Little Giant for my main pump, ( I think its rated at 18gpm at 26' of head) Do you think 2 4x8 200 micron socks would be OK? One for each over flow.

again thanks for the input!!
    If you wash them make sure you are not using detergent.  Detergent is high in phosphates and will cause algae blooms.  That is why I like my cheap nylons, very thin mesh, just need to be rinsed once, disposable, and they make great masks for those times when you really don't want to be recognized on survelence tape...

9. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

LOL!! Right on Travis!

Thanks for the info?

Einstein do you use just regular bleach, no additives?

10. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes I just use good Ole Clorox Bleech ....I also turn them inside out and remove large particles just so I dont cause a problem with the washer.
    Mine are the ones with the plastic rim on the top and washing doesnt hurt that either.
    Make sure you completely let them air dry before using as that will get rid of all possibilities for the bleech getting in your system.
    I cycle through 3 or 4 bags and wash the group when I put the last one on the system.

eins