1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

baffles in rubbermaid sump

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by snowman82, Oct 20, 2009.

1. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

bought my rubbermaid sump (70g)  was wondering how to make baffles in it, want skimmer section to stay at level and also a fuge with some rock and macro. 

2. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I think you'd have to get a roto-zip and cut some acrylic sheets to really close sizes. You could also try putting in buckets to keep the level high, and feed the overflows directly into those buckets. Good luck.

3. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I've used buckets to create different 'chambers' in a large sterilite tote. Works pretty well, and you can have one just for your skimmer.

4. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what buckets are completely safe submerged, like the paint and stuff on the outsides leaching

5. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Any household plastic bucket or other container is okay, I'd just buy it new and you'll know nothing has been in or on it. I've used various sizes of the plastic storage totes/boxes you can get at walmart. Lots to choose from and pretty inexpensive.

6. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was considering going the bucket route myself but if you figure something out with baffles I think I may prefer that :)

7. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    If you must go the baffle route, get some thick cardboard and use a roto-zip to cut out a single sheet of acrylic that will fit it. Cut it big the first time and test fit it multiple times until you get it just right. It needs to be real snug since it's a funny shape. Then I'm not exactly sure what to reinforce it with. I don't know if 100% silicone will hold it or if weld-on will bond to the rubbermade. Maybe someone else can chime in on this one.

8. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Once you get a piece of acrylic that fits good you could test fit it in multiple places and use that piece as a template for another piece if you need more then one...

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i'd use cardboard to do the templating then cut the acrylic to that.

10. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The way the tanks are molded, I think the sides are the same all around (obviously not the angle, but the stepping of the side walls), so if you were going to make a template, you should just have to create one side template. Once you have that, you should just be able to flip it and use it for the other side. Assuming that's the case, then all you would need to do is measure the distance at the top to complete your final test fit pattern. It shouldn't be that difficult...and if you make a few small mistakes, you can cover them in silicone.

Good luck, take pics and publish your process and outcome.

--AJ

11. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    i made a baflle for my 100 gall rubbermade sump to seperate the refugium from the return just made it out of acrylic. doesn't look the greatest but it works. you could also try setting your skimmer ontop of a all plastic milk crate to raise it higher so you can have a higher water level