1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Bad sponge..what to do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AJ, Feb 14, 2009.

1. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hey everyone..has anyone ever seen this kind of sponge?  I've been battling it for a while on this frag.  At first, I thought it was no big deal, picked it off and put the frag back.  Now, it's clearly a big deal as it's growing faster than the zoas and killing them.  Let me know what you think.  At this point, I'm going to take it out and scrape off the sponge tissue that I can get to and put it back...anyone got any better ideas?  Should I just dump this frag before the sponge spreads to other areas of my tank?
    --AJ
    [​IMG]

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Sponges usually don't like light right? I'de say pick off what you can and move it up towards the light more. Thats some pretty gnarly looking ****e.

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good call, I'll give that a shot.

--AJ

4. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do you remember where you got that frag from?

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Wow that is a wild one. They are awesome filter feeder & will actually help your tank if you can get it to your fuge. I would see if I can get some zoas off & start them on a new plug
    & put that thing in your fuge.

6. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Weird, I've never seen a sponge do that to a coral before......

7. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had a similar thing in my tank on a rock, seemed to me at night those little tiny star fish with the round body and long stringy legs lived there. I noticed this at night and it seemed they were crawling all over it. Eventually it went away.

8. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

How long did you have the rock out of the water before?

Typically, sponges are killed by air and I've had zoos live for 6+ hours out of the tank (they were brown and a weed, of course!).

My point being that you could remove the rock from the tank, take you time removing the sponge (15-20 minutes), and the air might kill whatever sponge remains.

-Eric

9. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I got it from a seller at the Fall Fest.  Meisen or something like that.  This frag also had majano and aiptasia on it...what a headache it's been!
    What I ended up doing with this is taking the frag from my tank, and in a small bowl, scraping all bits of the sponge off using a very slightly blunted bamboo skewer.  I had done this once before, but was not thorough and it came back.  This time I tried to be *very* thorough and I got every visible piece of it.  Now, there might be more living in a creavace or something, but I got all that I could see.  If it grows back this time, I'm giving the frag away.  I don't want to introduce a problem like that into my new tank.
    --AJ

10. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that frag alone has had more problems that my entire tank.

11. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hahaha...yeah, it's been a headache. The worst frag that I got at Fall Fest. I think only one other had an issue and that was just a single aiptasia...quickly and easily resolved.

12. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i agree with llebcire, air should kill it pretty good. and a stronger dose of light will usually do the trick. if it comes back i'd do both.

13. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's back. *sigh* Well, maybe I'll try sitting it out on the counter for a few hours...giving the air treatment a try. Nothing else seems to be working. It's kind of a last ditch effort.

--AJ

14. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By apjohnson on 03/09/2009 01:19 AM
    It's back. *sigh* Well, maybe I'll try sitting it out on the counter for a few hours...giving the air treatment a try. Nothing else seems to be working. It's kind of a last ditch effort.
    --AJ
    Aaron-
    Did you try "giving it some air" yet?

15. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I picked off as much of the sponge as I could see and set it out for about an hour and a half and put it back in my tank. Didn't seem to bother the zoas a bit but only time will tell if the sponge is going to come back or not. We'll see..

--AJ