1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Bad location for Aiptaisia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bobsfish, Nov 11, 2009.

1. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have an aiptaisa that showed up on the disk of a zoa frag. I need to treat the aiptaisia without hurting the zoa. I have successfully a heavy dose of kalk to kill aiptaisia on rock, but I'm afraid it will also kill the zoa. Any suggestions?

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Bob,

I have some Aiptasia-X you can use. If you shut off all the flow, you will be able to kill the aiptasia without affecting the zoa's at all.

I can bring it to Fall Fest if you'd like.

-JB

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I killed some aiptasia with Aiptasia-X right in the middle of a cluster of Radioactive Dragon Eyes...and didn't loose a single polyp.  Aiptasia-X won't kill stuff like kalk does.
    --AJ

4. bobsfish

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    JB - yes, if you could bring the Aiptaisia-X to Fall Fest, that'd be great. I could bring it back to you on Sunday or Monday.
    Thanks for boosting my confidence AJ...I really don't want to lose any of the polyps - there's only about 8 on the disk.

5. KirklinsClownfish Well-Known ReefKeeper

Robins Ia
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    We have had excellent luck with peppermint shrimp eating the astipasia. I have been on other forums where people that have just a few have injected just a drop or two of lemon juice into the astipaisia to kill it. This is fine, but you must not use this method to kill a large quantity of it as it could change your tank PH if a large quantity is added. Surely worth a shot! - Jason & Betty

6. bobsfish

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    yeah, that's a good idea about a peppermint shrimp. I've already got a cleaner shrimp and a fire shrimp, so I'm not sure I want to add another shrimp, but that might be the best long term solution though. They seem to just "pop" up every now and then...not sure where they come from.

7. Reefdumb

Reefdumb Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have all 3 shrimp in a 125 tank and they don't mind eachother. I would deff. get a peppermint