1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Back at it - hello everyone!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Sink_or_Swim, Jan 19, 2022.

1. Sink_or_Swim

Waukee, IA
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I guess I'll introduce myself. :)

upload_2022-1-19_10-58-35.gif

I live in the Des Moines area and have a 7 year old son (who I'd love to get into the hobby!), 2 dalmatians, a mini dachshund, and an old cat. Gave my freshwater tank to my dad when I moved 4 years ago, so about time to start up a new one - really want to attempt a reef tank. I work for a financial planning firm, and when not at the office, I enjoy spending time with my family, my dogs, kayaking, live concerts, and obviously fishkeeping.

upload_2022-1-19_10-58-35.gif

I'm new to setting up a saltwater tank myself, but not new to fishkeeping in general (my dad introduced me to the hobby when I was 5 years old and I've kept various freshwater fish ever since, so 30+ years). We had a 55 gallon FOWLR tank when I was younger and I was always mesmerized by it. My job was helping test the water and feeding the anemones. We had yellow tangs, damsels, angelfish, clownfish, a wrasse or two, shrimp, and my absolute favorite - a foxface rabbitfish.

I recently decided I want to attempt a reef tank. Planning to start with beginner softies and maybe some LPS, and a pair of designer clownfish (yes, all aboard the designer clown train, lol). I HOPE, because I do have a lot of experience with fish and tank upkeep in general, that some of that knowledge will translate over to success with saltwater... but I suppose I'll find out soon enough!

Currently still setting everything up:
    Fluval Flex Sea 32.5 gallon tank (Have made some upgrades to the stock filtration), with Tropic Eden sand and CaribSea LifeRock. Using Tropic Marin Classic salt. Also setting up a 10 gallon QT.
    I'll be on here researching and asking questions for sure! I also frequent Reef2Reef, and watch WAY too much BRStv, lol (in all seriousness though, VERY informative).
    Hope to make some friends here that are passionate about the hobby as well, and learn as much as I can.

2. BrandonD32 Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Coralville, IA
    Ratings:
    +67 / 3 / -0
    Welcome! We are glad to have you. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you have!

3. Sink_or_Swim

Waukee, IA
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thank you! I'm happy to have found this group. :)

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Welcome!

5. Sink_or_Swim

Waukee, IA
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thank you!