1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Awesome Fest - Fall 2012

Discussion in '2012' started by nickbuol, Nov 10, 2012.

1. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

As a new member to GIRS, I HAD to check out the fall fest today in Iowa City. It was great. Lots of vendors selling frags, used and new equipment, drygoods, free product samples, great speakers, and of course the raffle!

For me, as someone just getting back into saltwater, I am not going to even have a tank, let alone one ready for livestock, until 2 weeks from now, so the frags were great to look at, but I got more enjoyment from the two speakers since I wasn't going to buy any livestock.

I thought that I knew quite a bit about algae control, but picked up a few great tips in the first presentation. And I REALLY liked the (long) presentation about fish. That is my personal first love with saltwater, and hearing about some tried and true husbandry methods was great. Even with my great success in the past, things are always changing and adapting to new technologies available to the aquarist. Plus the stories told were interesting.

As for the raffle, I didn't win anything, and as disappointed as I was about not winning the 50" TV, the winner was priceless.

For those unable to attend, picture a thin, young, 9-ish year old boy, walking up with purpose right up to the TV which was still new in the box, and with his ticket in hand, he starts trying to pick up the box. This thing was huge compared to him. Hopefully a picture was able to be taken. I know that Andy tried, but the young winner kept turning his head.

Again, thank you to all that put this together or had a part in making it happen. There was a really great turnout of people that stuck around for most of it, and then a lot of people coming and going throughout the afternoon.

2. fewbert

fewbert Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Had a great time! Good corals and good prices! Thanks pot roast for most of my frags

3. rgreene

rgreene

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i did too i got the ats soooo happy

4. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0

Dito on everything that was said. The fest was a great success. Thanks to all that put in all the time and effort to plan it out.

awesome, perfect for the new tank. Those things are really nice and work great.

5. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Great show! Everyone involved in setting it up should be awfully proud.

Job well done!

6. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I spent a lot of time talking with vendors and attendees, and the over all theme was that GIRS really knows their stuff. Great job everyone you have every reason to be proud of yourselves.

7. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone who put in their time and effort for a great Fest! Although we had plenty of raffle items, I think that was THE fastest raffle I've every attended (yay!) /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/biggrin.gif Those who got to hear the speakers will have to share their knowledge with the club, would love to hear some of the highlights and tidbits.......

8. Killernights

Killernights Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it was a great fest, everything seemed to flow smoothly and it wasn't cramped. awesome vendors and a nice raffle plus there was cell reception so people could use credit cards lol

9. Jamie

Jamie Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Yes great job everyone who put their time in putting this together for everyone to enjoy. I would suggest selling some sort of beverage and or food though during the show. This would benefit the guest as well as raise more funds for the club. Pizza is easy enough to have delivered and could be sold by the slice. Just some suggestions. raffle sucked...I didn't win anything LOL :)

10. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I agree with the food/drink. Having something available on site would have been more convienent especially for the vendors that have a hard time stepping away from the floor for too long.

11. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Personally, I think serving food at the events is overkill.

To me it seems like it adds more burden to an already maxed out crew trying to run the show. Ultimately, it should be up to event coordinators to decide if they are going to want to add the extra chore of serving food.

Being there was a Jimmy Johns right next door to the hotel I really didn't see it an issue.

Just my 2 cents.

12. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Actually the hotel was supposed to have the lounge/restaurant open at noon and they never did. Big fail on their part.

13. 180wide

180wide

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks to the members that put it on, it was FANTASTIC! I enjoyed both speakers. And a nice turn out of vendors with great prices!The wife and I had a great time and the grand prize winner was priceless!

14. johnk183

Coralville
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Once again what a great frag fest.
    Thank you to all of the folks in the club that made this happen.
    Lots of hard work and it showed.
    Great club.
    Great speakers, great vendors.
    Hard to believe that this small Iowa club can make an event happen like this happen 2 times per year!

15. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Really wish I had gotten to hear the speakers...instead I wasted my day watching the Hawks lose! But I'm stoked about the new frags I got and getting to see some members I hadn't seen in a long time! It really put a spark back in the hobby for me.

16. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for telling the story of the boy that won the TV. I missed the raffle. I was talking with Booyah's Clowns and leaning how to tell the difference between an Ocellaris and a Percula, it was really interesting! I learned a lot and appreciate the time he took explaining things and pointing out the differences between the two.