1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

auto top off system

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fmsill, May 6, 2009.

1. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Im looking into getting a auto top off system for my aquarium. Has anyone tried the spectrapure liquid level replenisher? If not any suggestions on a good reliable one? Brian

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I don't know anything about the one you mentioned, but a lot of people (myself included) use the ones from http://www.autotopoff.com/

They are reliable and very inexpensive.

Hope that helps.

-JB

3. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    By looking at that website, you could buy the parts you needed on eBay to make one just like it yourself for less than half the price. Really all it is is a float switch that connects to a pump. This method requires a reservoir of fresh water to draw from for the topoff, correct?

4. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the info. I looked up the website and it looked like a pretty good product. I have looked at some others and they say that the water level has to drop 1 inch before they turn on is that the case with these as well?

5. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Yes thats pretty much all it is!

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Maybe, but by the time you factor in shipping and/or driving around to get misc parts, it might not be that much of a savings...  And then there is the issue of how much you value your time.
    The unit is essentially a powered outlet controlled by the switch(es) so you can plug whatever you want into it including a pump in a water tank or a solenoid for gravity feed or connection to an RO/DI unit. 
    fmsill:
    The unit turns on/off with probably an 1/8" difference in water height.   It's way less than an inch.
    I have the dual switch in-sump model and it works great.

7. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Im gonna give one a try . Thanks for the info! Brian[​IMG]

8. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Another vote for autotopoff.com. Their version has a relay built in which protects the float switch. The pump pulls more amps at start up than during normal operation. This spike wears out the float switch. The relay is designed to take the load. Worth it in my opinion.

9. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I actually just ordered all of it shipped for 10 bucks /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif
    well, not actually ordered, but put it all "in casrt" as if I were ordering. 40 bucks is kind of a lot considering its a flot switch on a piece of plastic. Just my opinion though. Can't beat the convenience of a premade one for sure!

10. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Im gonna buy the level controller and a solenoid so i can use it with my kent marine Reverse osmosis unit so i dont have to keep a resevoir by the tank. I already have a float valve kit on my RO to keep a container of water for water changes, do you know if i can just put a t in the product line so i can keep both the tank and the resevoir topped off. Basically run one line to the top off system and one to my container for water changes or will the two float valves cancel eachother out. Brian

11. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Posted By lordofthereef on 05/07/2009 04:21 PM
    I actually just ordered all of it shipped for 10 bucks /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif
    well, not actually ordered, but put it all "in casrt" as if I were ordering. 40 bucks is kind of a lot considering its a flot switch on a piece of plastic. Just my opinion though. Can't beat the convenience of a premade one for sure!
    What all did you order for $10.   The autotopoff.com units come with the float switch(es), float guard,  wiring,  15 amp relay and 18 guage cords (male and female) all pre-assembled in a nice clean package.   It's quite a bit more than just a float switch and a piece of plastic.
    -JB

12. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Float switch and relay is what I was referring to :) Not trying to argue that building is better, just saying that if you are going for price it is an option. Also if you are willing to save on looks since it is hidden in your sump anyway it is worth it for me. Every penny I can save I see as more being put in to some livestock.
    I am playing with the idea of actually building one, although I would have to go with a reservior as my RO unit is too far from the tank, however I really have no place for a reservoir either /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif If I do make one I will be sure to provide pictures and total cost.

13. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Its a ad on option for around a extra $30. Im lucky my ro is close enough to run a water line right to my sump!