1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

August Get Together

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by ZLTFUL, Jul 22, 2008.

1. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So anyone have any ideas?
    I could host a grill out or something. My roommates are starting to get into the whole saltwater thign so i think meeting a few people in the hobby would encourage them to slow down a bit and do things right.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds great. Schedule a date and let er rip. Aug 9, 16-17, and 31 I'm busy with weddings. Not that you have to schedule around me, but... hey... you know I'll actually show up if you do.

3. Rachael

Rachael Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am so in - despite you not inviting ME to the Rib fest.  I think that means you owe me a beer.

4. ZLTFUL

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ryan didn't say you wanted to go. Let's blame HIM!!!

5. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've got a wedding on the 2nd, I'll be out of town the weekend of th 9th and I'm guessing I'll have labor day plans the 31st. So as of right now we're looking at the weekend of the 23rd (at least if we're going of schedules of those who have posted.)

6. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'd love to come, we will see how it works out.

7. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm busy the weekend of the 16 as well. Set a date ZLTFUL, hey when are we going to sample some free beer from your employer?

8. Nykademus

Nykademus Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Busy the first weekend of August, should be able to make it otherwise.

9. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I am having a party at my place next Saturday the 2nd. This can be in addition to an August get together or in conjunction with or whatever. Anyway, club members are invited. Maybe an Ames/Boone tank tour can be tied in although I may be the only one to see and I wouldn't be able to go to any others.
    Anyway, I guess this is supposed to be my 40th BDay bash. But we have a summer party every year. Last year we ended up with about 70 people. We grill, drink, play volleyball, build a fire and then watch fireworks. As many know I live in the boonies (north of Boone) so there is plenty or room. So bring your lawn chairs, favorite meat, favorite drink and feel free to bring a tent and spend the night!
    PM me with your email if you need a map.

10. ZLTFUL

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Weekend of the 23rd looks like it may work best for most.

(Sorry Joel, I hate seeing friends growing old and fragile.) /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

Actually, we are changed all of our route accounting software over the first weekend of August so I wouldn't be able to make that anyway...

11. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    You guys can always crash my place! Frag swap is ok w/ me to. BBQ, Beer and Reef![​IMG]

12. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Joel cant you get a place just a little farther away from reality. LOL

13. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The only conflict I have on the 23rd is a fantasy football draft from 2 or 3 til about 5 or 6.
    Joel - have fun at your party, I'll be at a wedding so unable to attend.

14. ZLTFUL

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK. I am setting a date.

The date is August 24th at 2:00 pm at my place in Altoona. I will post up directions when we get a bit closer. I will provide burgers, turkey burgers, and hot dogs. I request that we do like a potluck style when you folks bring sides. If you plan on attending, post up what you will be bringing (I like potato salad...). Also, you are welcome to bring your beverage of choice.

We will relax, talk tanks and stuff and just have a general good time. My tank and my roommate's tank will be available for observation plus i get to show off my newest project!!

We can then have an impromptu tank tour if we want. I know a few folks are in the Altoona/Pleasant Hill/Boundurant area but I don't want to volunteer them for tank showings.

Anyway, this is what we got...

15. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm in, and I just put it on my calendar.

I'm not sure what side I'll be bringing, but presumably I'm gonna stop at a store and grab something on the way over (like chips and dip, potato salad, coleslaw, something along those lines)

16. ZLTFUL

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Might I suggest potato salad?

Damn you carbs!!! Why do you mock me??!!

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will bring a couple quarts of potato salad. 'Cause I'm lazy like that.

18. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Im even worse ill have my wife whip sumpin up. Desert Pizza? If you guys wanna tour my set-ups im all in 4 showin them. Im between DSM Altoona and P-Hill. BEWARE of my 46 gallon algea farm that ive lost all interest in... suggestions? Bring containers 4 free Montipora, and waving hand. Clubbies get it 4 free only! Dave

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That'd be great to see your tanks, and I'm sure more than one of us would chime in on how to rid a tank of algae /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

20. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    cant wait!