1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Notice ATTENTION MOBILE USERS: Pushover 7-day Trial (Tapatalk Alternative)

Discussion in 'Website Items, Issues & Feedback' started by Bud, Aug 30, 2015.

Mobile users: Do you like Pushover?

Poll closed Sep 6, 2015.
  1. Yes!

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Yes, but I'm not willing to pay $4.99 for it

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. I use Tapatalk, but I would use Pushover instead

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. I use Tapatalk, and I like Tapatalk better than Pushover

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. I don't use Tapatalk, but I like Pushover

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. I don't care for either, I just click the e-mail links

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Available to all paid GIRS Members Registered Users this week! A possible alternative to Tapatalk: Pushover!

Chris Deeming, one of the Xenforo developers and the creator of Xenforo Media Gallery, was kind enough to give us a one-week trial of his addon that integrates Pushover into Xenforo. The addon cost is only $20 (15 GBP) so if we like it, it's not a big hit in the pocketbook. This trial period ends Saturday September 5th.

Pushover is an iPhone and Android App that allows for popular Push Notifications to go to your phone or mobile device. This is the one feature of Tapatalk that I find useful, except that these notifications bring you to the website on your mobile browser.

This costs you nothing to try. The Pushover app has a free 7-day trial period; after that, it costs $4.99 (on-time In App Purchase price).

I have registered the app on Pushover and installed the add-on here, so it is up and running and available to all Registered Users to try out.

Here's what you will need to do:
    • Download the app for your phone and set up your account
    • You may also go to www.pushover.net and register there, then download the app on your mobile device and then log in.
    • On here, go to your External Accounts page and click the "Subscribe to Pushover" button

pushover 1.JPG

• This will bring you to the Pushover site, where you will need to log in (if you're not already logged in) and associate your device with the site.
    After you do this, and your device alerts are working (you will get one immediately telling you that you are now subscribed to GIRS alerts), you can come back to the External Account page and select which alerts you want to get.

I have narrowed down the alerts to a more basic set. There are a TON of alert options, basically, anything that can create an alert that pops up in the nav bar on the site can create an alert on your mobile device.

So, what's the catch? It's not free. Both to you, and to GIRS - at least, not completely free.

The app installs for free, and then you get a 7-day trial. After that, it's $4.99 for a end-user license, and that's good for using on all sites that offer Pushover (I'm currently using it on 3 sites).

For GIRS, Pushover allows up to 7,500 notifications to be sent per month. After that, it stops sending notifications until the month ends and the counter resets, or we pay $50 for an additional 10,000 notifications (which roll over and never expire).

Personally, in the very short time I've used this app, it kicks #@$. It allows you to set "quiet times" so that you won't get sound/vibration notifications, say, between 10pm and 7am. You can control (via the External Accounts settings) what kinds of alerts you want, and you can control what sound is played, and what priority the alert should get.

On the web/admin side, we can select which notifications that we will allow the users to select. For instance, I deselected most of the "like" notifications, as these would likely ramp up the number of notifications. The most basic set would be notifications of new posts/replies and new conversation messages.

If the decision is made to dump Tapatalk in favor of Pushover, this add-on would very likely only be available to paid GIRS Members due to the monthly notification limit and cost for additional notifications.

The forum software is a Responsive Design and it fully functional on mobile devices, so there really is no need for a Tapatalk-like addon, and for site users who are not paid GIRS members, the links on e-mail notifications bring you directly to the site on your mobile browser.

I would like as many users who use Tapatalk or (just the mobile browser version of the site) to download the Pushover app (in iTunes or Google store) and test drive it for the week. Provide feedback here!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    @Turbo's Aquatics@Turbo's Aquatics
    You should promote stuff like this to an article to get some home page exposure to more people. :)

3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Done!
    --- Auto-Merged, Aug 30, 2015, Original Post: Aug 30, 2015 ---
    Post here if you have installed Pushover and are using it!

4. new2salt

Mingo
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Installed and setup preferences

5. danmgray Well-Known ReefKeeper

Sioux City, IA
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    * danmgray is giving a try

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    * Bud is testing the me function

That's odd @danmgray@danmgray i don't know why yours didn't resolve

7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    It seems the article promotion messes with the "/me" addon :mad:

Fixed it!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  8. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I moved this thread to the Website sub-forum (from the Club Business forum) so that everyone can see it. I'm not getting a lot of feedback, and non-member Tapatalk users are a group I would like to target for feedback.

I don't think we're going to exceed the 7,500 notification limit in a week, so this is now open for all registered site users to try out.

Please post in this thread when you have installed it, and after you get a chance to test drive it for a few days, please provide some feedback, and submit a vote on the poll!

Thanks!
    Bud

9. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    So i downloaded it but it wont let me do anything else keeps showing me the same message..... yes i setup the account..

I use Tapatalk for reef2reef, girs, and others and its free. I wouldnt be willing to pay for something personally that i already have for free but thats me

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  10. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    You need to go to your External Account page and associate your App with the site