1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

asm skimmers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cowdust9, Oct 1, 2009.

1. cowdust9

cowdust9 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    just wanting to know if asm skimmers are any good?

2. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just got a G3 for my 150 build. I personally have not used one, but my boss when I lived in california had a G4 or G5 (can't remember which) on his 240g SPS dominant tank and it looked beautiful, skimmed very well. He had the gate mod, but not sure if he had any others. I think for the price, they can't be beat, really.

3. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Ive heard their a good skimmer but have never used one. When i bought my euro reef i did alot of research and from what i found people seem to like them. The only complaints i heard is they dont come with instructions and the customer service is pretty much non existant.

4. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm in the market for a new skimmer as well. There are a lot of reviews on skimmers on the Marine Depot site. ASM did not get glowing reviews - very mixed.
    http://www.marinedepot.com/ASM_Protein_Skimmers_In_Sump_Venturi_Protein_Skimmers_For_Tanks_Up_to_100_Gallons-ASM_G_Series_Protein_Skimmers-AG1111-FIPSISVSUH-vi.html

5. cowdust9

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    looks like the skimmer is good but the pump is not, thats not good

6. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Most good skimmers use good pumps, you can take an average skimmer and add a good pump to improve the skimmers performance.
    If your in the market for a good skimmer, this is the pump to look for. If it has this pump on it you know it will be good. Its a little more money, but when you have a thousand dollars in corals whats an extra hundred dollars to help keep your corals happy and healthy!!!!!
    http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=2492 I run two of these on my skimmer and they are the best pumps I have ever used for skimming!!
    Just my 2 cents.

7. cowdust9

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    those are the pumps that they have on the ocot extreams correct?

8. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep! and on some of the new cone skimmers as well.