1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

ASM Skimmers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BigBlue, Dec 25, 2007.

1. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone ever used ASM Protein Skimmers. I was just looking at getting one but I would like to know if they worth the money.
    Here is a link to the one I was thinking about getting.
    http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=1297
    Let me know what you guys think. I'm thinking about putting a order tomarrow.
    Thanks.

2. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    There nice skimmers but the Octopus skimmer are built and usually cheaper.

3. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Got2lb had a ASM i believe. Maybe he will chime in.

4. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Wayne1 on 12/25/2007 12:35 PM
    Got2lb had a ASM i believe. Maybe he will chime in.
    Since I was asked I suppose I will! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif
    I had a ASM G2 that I ran.  I liked it and it seemed to pull some decent skimmate.   After I mesh modded it, it really pulled some nasty crap out, the only thing I didn't like about it then was that the pump didn't like to restart.   I liked mine and I'd reccomend one.
    The mini G may be a tad small for you tank though?  40 breeder right?  How big of sump do you have?  I was running my G2 on my 94 gallon. with maybe another 30 gallons in the sump.

5. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a 20g sump. So all together I have about 50g of water. Thats taking out like 10g for sand and rock. So ya I would say like 50g.
    The ASM Mini is rated for 75g. I thought that would be pretty good. Plus it's still small enought to fit in my sump.

6. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've owned a G1X and a G3 when I had my 120. I thought they did a decent job but I wouldn't put it on anything larger. I would also ignore their ratings. MOST manufacturer's rating doesn't mean anything. If there's one area I wouldn't skimp on is the skimmer. Save up a couple more bucks and get something better. The Octopus skimmers seem to be a reall good value and may be worth a look.

7. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wanted to get a Octopus skimmer but the ones I wanted were on back order until the end of next month. I don't really want to wait till then cuse I had planed on ordering everything all together.
    The only Octopus skimmers they have instock were the 200 and higher. If I get something like that I'm going to have to add another tank to my system.