1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Are you interested?

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by CyberJester, Jan 21, 2009.

1. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey all,
    I am trying to plan a few more events for the club and had a question.
    Would any/all of you be interested in a trip to Live Aquaria in Wisconsin for a tour and purchase.
    The trip one way is about 5 to 5 1/2 hours, so it is a long drive.
    If there is enough interest in an event of this nature, I was going to call them and see if we could get a tour of their facilities and a discount if we purchased over a certain dollar amount.
    Please chime in and let me know what you are thinking.

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I would be interested if us waterlooians can tag along with the cool kids.

3. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i would be interested too

what month would u plan this

4. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I was thinking sometime in early spring.

Put it on the schedule for April 18, however, have not checked this against other dates yet.  So probably April or May time frame.

Just trying to get a feel for who would be interested.
    The Waterloo folks would be allowed to tag along, however, they would all be assigned to the short bus!

5. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm game. I would love to see a large scale operation like that.   Would it be something where we left *really* early the day of the tour and came back the same day or travel up the day before, do the tour the next day and travel back home that same day?

--AJ

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    We had this planned a couple years ago and it ended up falling through at the last minute because none of the GIRS officers could go. I was miffed because I really wanted to see the place.

I'm all for road tripping up there some weekend.

-JB

7. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By apjohnson on 01/21/2009 01:26 PM
    I'm game. I would love to see a large scale operation like that.   Would it be something where we left *really* early the day of the tour and came back the same day or travel up the day before, do the tour the next day and travel back home that same day?
    --AJ
    My feeling would be that it would be an all in one day activity.
    However, I am open to a overnight event if the rest of the club is.
    As we always seem to have alot of fun at the overnight events.
    I guess once I get an idea of how many people would be interested then we could do another poll to see whether an overnight would be possible with the group base that had already voted.

8. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It's about a 6+ hour trip one way from Cedar Rapids isn't it?

-JB

9. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jbrunken on 01/21/2009 02:04 PM
    It's about a 6+ hour trip one way from Cedar Rapids isn't it?
    -JB
    Well Mapquest shows it a 6 hours which is usually off about 10 min/hour from what I have seen so I went with 5 to 5 1/2.
    Or it could simply be because I usually drive 7 MPH over the speed limits.
    Shhhhh, don't tell no one!

10. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I woould rather do an over nite. It is about 335 miles, but its not an interstate so I can see it being a good 6+ hour drive. If the masses wants a one day I would do that too.

As long as you let us in the bus I dont care if it is short, long, tall or skinny

11. Steph & Nick

Steph & Nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    that could be a fun little trip....we would be in, as long as i dont have class that weekend

12. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Man that does sound pretty fun.

13. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The single day thing might be ok, if we were all in one or two big vehicles...

-JB

14. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i could bring one of my moving truck and strap every to  wall.  We could get a good 100 people in there :)
    I know you guys arent going to plan this around someone from waterloo but it would be nice if this was not near the end of April or beginning of may, because of my wedding

15. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By davidm199 on 01/21/2009 06:45 PM

Posted By jbrunken on 01/21/2009 06:31 PM
    The single day thing might be ok, if we were all in one or two big vehicles...
    -JB
    i could bring one of my moving truck and strap every to  wall.  We could get a good 100 people in there :)
    I know you guys arent going to plan this around someone from waterloo but it would be nice if this was not near the end of April or beginning of may, because of my wedding
    As long as I can strap a keg of beer beside me you got a deal!
    Oh my GOD! placing a wedding before a trip to an awesome fish & coral store, not good! [​IMG]

16. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm fine either way, it would make for a really long one day trip, but would help keep expenses down so that everyone had more green for corals...heh. If we consolidated into a few vehicles, other people could help with driving if needed to break it up. 12 hours of driving in one day would kill me...

17. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am in as long as I do not have to work that weekend. I will also be willing to pitch in if we want to rent a bus or something, Shaun

18. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sounds like a hell of an idea,i'd be interested in that

19. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm in!!!

That sounds like a blast!

It would be nice to get some different corals, instead of the usual that most of the LFS have.

20. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Alright, enough said the masses have spoken.
    Not a single no vote, thats a first.
    I will start looking into this and trying to get everything planned out.
    I may add a poll in a little bit to see who would be interested in an overnight versus a same day trip.
    We may even be able to to both.  one set could go up the day before and spend the night and another group could go the next day for a day trip.  Whether this would work really depends on the kind of numbers we could get to commit to this.
    Anyway.  I will start planning and will keep all of you in the loop as things develop.
    Thanks again all.