1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Are 125`s drillable?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by phishcrazee, Feb 6, 2008.

1. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I want to buy the 125g that's for sale, but I don't think it's drilled.  Does anyone know if the 125's are made with regular, non-tempered glass?  Also, there are a few minor scratches on the glass, any way to get them out?

2. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    almost all 125's are drillable except the bottom. As for scratchs Id say no. It can be done with the right stuff but it would take forever and chances are it'd look wavy afterwards. I made a couple mirrors for telescopes and have to say it'd be cheaper to jusr buy a nonscratched tank.

3. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what's the brand? I've always had luck emailing All-glass and perfecto with the date it was made and they always wrote back saying whether they used tempered glass or not.

4. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's the thing, he doesn't know the brand of tank..... it's older though. I thought I heard there was a way to tell if it was tempered by looking at the glass with a certain type of sunglasses? Maybe I'm nuts, but I thought there was a way to tell by just looking at the glass.

5. acidlittle

Beaverdale
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    if it is drillable, drill the side with the scratches that way you don't see em that badly....

6. Wenszoo

Wenszoo Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As an exglass guy I would have to tell you There is no true way to tell if it is tempered unless it has a bug on it(etching in the corner) or until it shatters int hundreds of little pieces

7. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    any tank that is old and over 55 gallons will have very thick glass on the bottom, llike 5/8th or more if its not tempered.

it scratches easily, after having gravel in them they look like chalk has been put on them, and have a green tint.

you will never see a tank above a 80 tall which they dont make anymore thats not tempered without 5/8ths glass or thicker on the bottom unless its custom made.

if the tank has 3/8ths glass on the bottom or under and its over 55 gallons, its tempered.
    every tank by perfecto or allglass that ive owned above 125 since the 80s has been tempered and 5/8ths thick on the bottom.

get a pic of the tank and put it up here, ill bet i can tell you who made it just by looking at the molding.

8. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So if has thick glass and is old, it's most likely not tempered then?

9. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    no, not entirly any tank, but ill tell you this also,  110s and 120s are often mistaken for 125s they look similar but have 5/8ths glass on the bottom and are not tempered. they are 72x18 but shorter.
    the stand i have for sale in the selling forum came from a shop in moline called vans tropical island, the tank that came with it was a 110, very similar just a few inches shorter.

if its a 125,120,110 and has 5/8ths glass on the bottom or above its not tempered, anything below 5/8ths is tempered.
    if your tank is a 125 and has 3/8ths glass on the bottom its tempered, not tempered its 5/8ths or greater.
    they got away from using the thick 5/8ths glass on the 125,120,110 because of its weight and went to 3/8th tempered.
    you will know it when you pick up a non tempered 110,120,125
    do i have you good and confused now?
    hope this helps.

10. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    most likely the back panel will be ok to drill. If it shatters, you have a fun story to tell.... I know jeremy has some of those /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif