1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Build! Aquatic Room Build (36+ tanks)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AnderDan, Oct 30, 2016.

1. gordonh

Iowa
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
  2. Brady

Cedar rapids
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How are u plumbing everything?

3. AnderDan

Osage, IA
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I'll look into them. For now I've got Current's Freshwater Satellite LED fixture on the way for freshwater. The Panorama Pros are sustaining the plants perfectly at the moment (including new growth). But the thickness of them get in the way sometimes when I'm catching fish (they hang a bit lower than I'd prefer for this system).

With the overflows on the tanks, I plumb multiple tanks into a sump (which I will further customize in the future - perhaps with algae scrubbers). Each row can be shut off from flow, and additionally, each aquarium can be isolated from the system. I've built the tanks so that I can get behind them for ease of maintenance and in case something would go wrong. It's been working quite well. As far as the return pipes, I actually use flexible (but reinforced) vinyl 3/4" tubing for the incoming water and a slightly bigger tubing for the return water to the sump. It starts larger and reduces to 1". I use clamps I can tighten with a screwdriver to secure all the seals. This way it's not a permanent system and it can evolve over time as I add tanks and systems.

4. AnderDan

Osage, IA
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Well, it's about time for an update. I've been tinkering away and made some headway. Needless to say we've built a few sections:

First up we started Saltwater Section B starting with the foundation.

IMG_1824.JPG

IMG_1826.JPG

IMG_1830.JPG

IMG_1831.JPG

IMG_1835.JPG

As you can see, it will sit next to Saltwater Section C. This section will have a slightly different take than the ones next to it. The bottom will get to have a 57 gallon rimless tank.

IMG_1836.JPG

IMG_1837.JPG

IMG_1838.JPG

On the top level will be two identical 35 gallon cubes, same as Section C's tanks. Time for more water!

IMG_1839.JPG

For now (to save some cost), I've plumbed the 57 gallon into Section C. I had to swap out the pump for a stronger one to accommodate all 5 aquariums (plus the height difference).

Next I started one of the coral systems:

IMG_1847.JPG

IMG_1848.JPG

As you can see, this stand was much simpler than the multi-tiered systems. It will house an 80 gallon rimless aquarium for Coral only. In the long run, there will be three of these tanks. One for Softies/Zoas, one for LPS, and one for SPS corals.

IMG_1840.JPG

IMG_1850.JPG

Even more water!

IMG_1854.JPG

Here's a couple pictures from the side:

IMG_1857.JPG

IMG_1858.JPG

5. Hunter

Garner
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Are you opening up your own fish store then, or is this just for your own entertainment?

6. AnderDan

Osage, IA
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I couldn't attach more photos in the previous post, so here's part 2 for today:

We decided to build another freshwater system. This one will (eventually) be used for Coldwater/Goldfish/(feeders?):

IMG_1861.JPG

IMG_1862.JPG

Now for the start of some flooring:

IMG_1863.JPG

IMG_1865.JPG

aaaaand since we had some leftover lumber... I said "Eh, why not? Another coral tank.":

IMG_1867.JPG

Now an overview of the stands:

IMG_1864.JPG

To darken the room and put more of the focus on the fish, we started painting (with outdoor paint to help resist water) everything black:

IMG_1917.JPG

IMG_1918.JPG

IMG_1919.JPG

We kinda ramped up the saltwater a little quicker than we probably would have due to having the local kindergarten classes out to see everything. At the culmination of their oceanic lesson plans, they were treated to a visit to our place to see the different organisms they were leaning about... and then some.

7. AnderDan

Osage, IA
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Both lol. We opened up Ocean's Oasis Fish and Pets in Osage, IA. I'm documenting building our aquatic department in case others can learn from the experience or simply be inspired for future projects at their homes.

8. CMC319

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    This is absolutely amazing! I wish I was closer (Cedar Rapids) because I would definitely send you some business! The fact that you use this as a learning opportunity for the kiddos speaks volumes about your business ethics/intentions…Bravo. I’m just now getting back into reefing after about a nine year break. Always on the lookout for good quality “ma and pop” store. Next time I get up that way I will be making a pit stop. Keep up the good work!

-Chad

9. AnderDan

Osage, IA
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Thanks so much! We'd look forward to having you look at our shop. Yes, one of the reasons why we created Ocean's Oasis Fish and Pets was partly due to... well.. not seeing eye to eye with some corporate stores and the culture that they cultivate. As our personal family grows (our oldest just turned 1 in November), we are growing our (first ;) ) business family - that is the shop will hire people into a family. Not just a business. We have sooooo many ideas and projects to implement down the line. It's just a matter of time, but any great story has a beginning.